Flameout additions.

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
LeeH
Under the Table

Flameout additions.

Post by LeeH » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:26 pm

What temp and how long are we all steeping hops?

I seem to be favouring 30 mins at 75 degC.

Discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Flameout additions.

Post by jaroporter » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:04 pm

well if we're gonna discuss.. why 30 mins at 75c? :lol:
what else have you tried and what did you think about it?

for me, very roughly 90c for as long as it takes to naturally cool and ferment out.. because it's a very simple (read lazy) method that gives results i like. i have steeped at flameout while actively cooling which was fine, but i reckon i prefer the more intense flavour i get with the way i do it now. or i'd still be tweaking the method i guess!
dazzled, doused in gin..

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:26 pm

For me, flame out is the moment when the gas or electricity is turned off - or 0mins. After this point, I assume a utilisation of about a third of what would occur in the boil, for as long as the wort remains above 80C.

But it should be remembered that a pause at this stage can also (somewhat) affect hops that were added late in the boil - unless they are bagged and can be removed - so the hop schedule may need altering if this is done. It has also been suggested that DMS can be generated yet not so efficiently driven off if the wort remains hot yet not boiling, though I can't claim to have experienced tangible effects myself so tend to be a little sceptical (assuming the boil has been sufficient). But either way, I normally prefer going with 5mins or 10mins hops and then a <80C steep.

Steeping below 80C is of course also done with the flames out (unless on gently on to maintain temperature), but is something different and distinct; in theory there will be little/no isomerisation of the alpha acids (though that doesn't mean no bitterness of other kinds won't be extracted). Personally if I do one of these then I like to let them infuse for a good 20mins to half an hour at least; the temperature will fall during that time but not very quickly with my batch sizes. Then I will cool with the CFC quite quickly to set a consistent end point.
Kev

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:57 pm

jaroporter wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:04 pm
well if we're gonna discuss.. why 30 mins at 75c? :lol:
what else have you tried and what did you think about it?

for me, very roughly 90c for as long as it takes to naturally cool and ferment out.. because it's a very simple (read lazy) method that gives results i like. i have steeped at flameout while actively cooling which was fine, but i reckon i prefer the more intense flavour i get with the way i do it now. or i'd still be tweaking the method i guess!
OT... Jaro'... where you residing these days..it's the Xmas meet of the Maidstone contingent soon if you happen to be in the area..check the FB page.

As you were, gents, carry on...

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Isomerisation occurs above 64C, so if you’re not wanting bitterness from late additions you need to bear this in mind. However, in practice the utilisation when steeping at ‘flameout’ is probably only around 5%. At work we steep for 30 minutes, but then it also takes around an hour to cast to FV, so the contact time with flameout hops is around 90 minutes. The wort doesn’t really cool all that much in this time as we’ve got around 3350L of wort sitting in the kettle.

I tend to follow the same process at home of letting the flameout hops sit for at least 30 minutes, then kick the immersion chiller into play for another 30 minutes. After I get down to 20C, I let the wort sit with the flameout hops before casting to FV so the cold break sinks (approx 30 minutes).

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:07 am

I spent some time earlier in the year investigating how to maximise hop aroma. There was one observation, that should have been a blindingly obvious one, that struck home. If you want a powerful "fresh out of the box" aroma from your hops they have to already be powerfully aromatic "fresh out of the box" hops in the first place. Think of a Hi-Fi system. Your £10k speakers are not going to extract anymore from your £100 CD player etc than it can give. Everything after that is just rearranging chairs on the Titanic. As is often the case an initial sniff will tell you a lot about the eventual outcome for your Beer. With that as your starting point I then found that cooler and longer steeping/whirlpooling worked best. I don't go much below 70c until there has been some time for the heat to help disrupt the efforts of any microbiology looking to ruin my day.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:16 am

Boil for 10 mins, steep for 20 mins.

Javelin....