Jester Hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Jester Hops

Post by LeeH » Wed May 06, 2020 8:13 am

orlando wrote:
WalesAles wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:42 am
Tarmac,
Did you find this......
https://www.britishhops.org.uk/varieties/jester/
I`ve never used them, so I can`t comment. #-o

WA
They're a joke, don't bother.
Pun intended or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed May 06, 2020 9:15 am

LeeH wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:13 am
orlando wrote:
WalesAles wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:42 am
Tarmac,
Did you find this......
https://www.britishhops.org.uk/varieties/jester/
I`ve never used them, so I can`t comment. #-o

WA
They're a joke, don't bother.
Pun intended or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
See above. Bit of both.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Fri May 08, 2020 10:00 am

Tarmac wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:52 pm
MeatyMC, I live off St James - there’ll be a plume of steam over town.
Didn't see it Tarmac - maybe you need to get a bigger kettle :D

How's the brew going?

Tarmac
Steady Drinker

Post by Tarmac » Sat May 09, 2020 11:21 am

Got it done. Could do with a bigger copper but getting away with the 50ltr pot. Quite enjoying the larger brew days.

8kg Extra Pale MO, water treatment 16gm Gypsum and 10gm DLS.

just did a 40 min boil.

Northdown 30gms, 40 mins
Jester 40gms, 20 mins
Jester 40gms, 10 mins
Jester 80gms, 1 min

Got 40gms left for dry hopping.

About 23 ltrs in each fermenter. So will dry hop one with jester and probably the other with some nelson sauvin.

Crushed a couple of Jester hop cones to sniff test. The smell of the jester hop definitely had some blackcurrent about it and did get a bit of ‘Lilt’, tropical smell - which was pleasant, but it wasn’t blindingly obviou. Taste test next.

Hopeful of a good pint - will update soon.
Attachments
17A57695-8E68-424E-A0F0-5AABBF117522.jpeg
Last edited by Tarmac on Sun May 10, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarmac
Steady Drinker

Post by Tarmac » Sun May 10, 2020 5:01 pm

DBF3D6D5-AB03-47E5-A0C4-37D794CC6078.jpeg
Jester Hops,

Just had the lid off and a sniff of the fermenter aromas. Thought it smelled ok, then went for another, it smells good. Definitely blackcurrent, some spicyness, and that Lilt smell.

I’m not joking - so far so good.

Tarmac
Steady Drinker

Post by Tarmac » Wed May 13, 2020 10:40 pm

Fermentation is well finished, dry hopped with jester in one of the fermenters 2 days ago.

Watched this before buying the hops, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lo3nySK-xLY ,

Anyway, having a sample out of the fermenter - it is the weirdest hop I’ve tasted. Really weird, get the earthy, musky, a late bitterness similar to eating lettuce, get citrus, lemon/lime, berry smell, but not taste. Didn’t use crystal malt but has a taste of it.

Still needs time to mellow, it is a good taste, though so unusual I wanted to dislike it.

I have dry hopped the other fermenter with 25gms citra & 15gms nelson. Not tasted it yet.

Update - just sampled the citra/ns dry hop batch, absolutely delicious. Has taken the earthy/musky edge off it - still get a lettuce bitterness but the other 2 hops make it very tasty and interesting.

Wrong - it’s rank, either my taste buds were off then, or are now. Worst hop ever. Those guys review on u tube, were polite.
Last edited by Tarmac on Tue May 19, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarmac
Steady Drinker

Post by Tarmac » Sat May 16, 2020 3:26 pm

I corny kegged the Smash Jester on Thursday . The citra/dry hop yesterday.

Quality test of Jester Smash, brewed last Saturday. It is Okay,,,
But won’t buy anymore. Definitely a one off. Even the dry hop of citra and ns isn’t great.
It’s like trying to polish a turd. Doesn’t work.

My jester, is a joker & got a fair bit to drink up :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :cry:

Update- sampling in the sun. Taste buds a bit better today and the jester is more palatable. Definitely not a suitable single hop brew - for me.

Ok for something to throw in at 30/15 mins, to enhance another hop. My beer is good, but the hop isn’t. Have paid £4 a pint for much worse though.

Tarmac
Steady Drinker

Post by Tarmac » Wed May 20, 2020 7:18 pm

These hops need a caveat. Head brewer, 7 years ago, told me hops were related to cannabis plant. Fair play. Now I like NS hops, wasn’t sure why, but these Jesters are very dodgy.

https://growlermag.com/hops-pot-definit ... e-related/

3 pints is how I would imagine Space Cake.
Last edited by Tarmac on Wed May 20, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarmac
Steady Drinker

Post by Tarmac » Wed May 20, 2020 7:34 pm

Hops are a resinous, green flower, and from what Snoop Dogg taught me, so too is that sticky icky icky.

But the similarities between hops and weed go well beyond how they look and feel. Not only did scientists confirm in 2012 that the two plants are genetically related, belonging to Cannabinaceae family, now further research is helping us understand the similar aroma and flavor characteristics these plants exhibit. Cousins Cannabis and Humulus, it turns out, share a key ingredient called terpenes.

Terpenes are a class of organic compounds produced by several types of flowers and trees, especially conifers, and are responsible for producing flavors and aromas in plants. Recently, a team of researchers at the University of British Columbia published a study on what gives marijuana its distinct flavors and aromas. According to a recent Forbes article, the researchers “found close to 30 terpenes in the cannabis genome, producing such ‘fragrant molecules’ as limonene, myrcene, and pinene when those genes are active, and thus give it an alternately citrusy, skunky, or earthy quality.”

It’s no coincidence that those descriptors—citrusy, skunky, or earthy—are just as often associated with the hoppy double IPA at the local taproom. Hops and marijuana share many of these terpenes in common, such as myrcene, beta-pinene, and alpha-humulene to name a few. Certain hop varieties like Summit, Eureka, 007, and Nelson Sauvin—though it varies on Nelson Sauvin harvests—are especially pungent with green onion, chive-like, and dank aroma and flavor characteristics.

This hop is all ‘ pungent with green onion, chive-like, and dank aroma and flavor characteristics’. Jeez, dry hopped one corny with NS.

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Sat May 23, 2020 8:12 am

Tarmac wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:34 pm
This hop is all ‘pungent with green onion, chive-like, and dank aroma and flavor characteristics’. Jeez, dry hopped one corny with NS.
I've never got that from NS, Mosaic on the other hand... 🤢
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

Tarmac
Steady Drinker

Post by Tarmac » Sat May 23, 2020 8:45 am

k1100t wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:12 am
Tarmac wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:34 pm
This hop is all ‘pungent with green onion, chive-like, and dank aroma and flavor characteristics’. Jeez, dry hopped one corny with NS.
I've never got that from NS, Mosaic on the other hand... 🤢
You are right K1000t, I don’t agree with their description of NS, it’s up there with citra as a favourite hop. Still, do find a brew with it has very relaxing qualities, observed 10+ years ago when first used it and to this day.