Brewing alcohol free

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
ingo
Steady Drinker

Re: Brewing alcohol free

Post by ingo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:37 pm

PeeBee
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by PeeBee » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:45 pm

That doesn't tell me anything that I didn't know already. The article does surprise me … but only in that the author expresses surprise with the results! But the article is dated 2011 and the author might know better now?

Crystal malt has very little "fermentable" sugar, because the conditions it is created under favours alpha-amylase, not beta, so nearly all the converted starch is converted to dextrin. One of the lightest crystal malts ("Carapils") is also called "dextrin malt". But mash crystal malt and beta-amylase makes short work converting that dextrin to maltose. Which is why I never understand people adding Carapils to the mash "to increase body" :-? .

So I'm careful not to mash lower than 72C, and even that might be a bit cool so I'll go back to 74-75C* next time. And some dextrin is fermentable by some yeasts (maltotriose is a dextrin) so I ferment with "S-33" yeast which is well known to have no stomach for maltotriose (S-04 ferments maltotriose a bit, so I'm surprised the author of that article used it).

So the article has been posted to help me prove I'm right? Thank you.

* Some maltose is created at these temperatures, but the amount created is severely limited. I've been getting less than 30% attenuation for some of my "hot mash" low-alcohol beers.

ingo
Steady Drinker

Post by ingo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:18 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:45 pm
So the article has been posted to help me prove I'm right? Thank you.

You're welcome. :)

Though I'm not really into right and wrong but prefer to collect a "critical mass" of information and this is one dot. There's thousands of (scientific) articles in my Zotero database on brewing and amazingly little on this way of brewing with a cold mash or only extracting from cara/crystal malts. Even though cold mashing wasn't new when Briess published their findings.

Guess I'll have to get my smallest brew kit out (a 1l coffee press) and start a range of tests,

Ingo