Tomato Puree Nutrient

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Tomato Puree Nutrient

Post by trucker5774 » Wed May 26, 2021 1:14 pm

MashBag wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:38 am
Do we need look at the issue rather that things you have tried.

Does it happen with one recipes or all?
It's all recipes, but the grain bill is similar. Typically around 4 kg of pale malt with some crystal/vienna/roasted etc and average hopping.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Wed May 26, 2021 1:20 pm

McMullan wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:08 pm
trucker5774 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:12 pm
I only ever change one variant at a time. 8)
That's an acceptable (even a recommended) strategy, but, especially as you seem to be struggling, you could always work backwards, where, if it 'works' for you, when you adjust more than one variable, say, yeast strain and mash temp, you remove one (or even two) and assess what happens. I find it odd that you've struggled to get your more desirable higher FG for years. Do you brew once or twice a year?
I brew about every 3 weeks. I have a mate who has a local brewery. We have systematically tried everything we can think of. It's not a problem the FG being 1012, but a mystery why it has moved from what was 108 to 1010.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Wed May 26, 2021 6:55 pm

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri May 28, 2021 8:32 pm

trucker5774 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:20 pm
McMullan wrote:
trucker5774 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:12 pm
I only ever change one variant at a time. 8)
That's an acceptable (even a recommended) strategy, but, especially as you seem to be struggling, you could always work backwards, where, if it 'works' for you, when you adjust more than one variable, say, yeast strain and mash temp, you remove one (or even two) and assess what happens. I find it odd that you've struggled to get your more desirable higher FG for years. Do you brew once or twice a year?
I brew about every 3 weeks. I have a mate who has a local brewery. We have systematically tried everything we can think of. It's not a problem the FG being 1012, but a mystery why it has moved from what was 108 to 1010.
Ironically, most of my beers finish at about 1.012 😁 Maybe your perceived issue has been solved? That might be a better way to view it, until you know for sure. My money’s on a change of grain, a batch effect. Do you use the same grain as your pro mate?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri May 28, 2021 8:53 pm

McMullan wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:32 pm
trucker5774 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:20 pm
McMullan wrote:

Ironically, most of my beers finish at about 1.012 😁 Maybe your perceived issue has been solved? That might be a better way to view it, until you know for sure. My money’s on a change of grain, a batch effect. Do you use the same grain as your pro mate?
Yes, I get my grain from the brewery. This is my 3rd supplier, as he changes for the best deal! My last check to do is mash P.H. but we are on the same water supply and we don't treat it.
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri May 28, 2021 9:08 pm

Weird weather conditions might shift water chemistry, but I’d be surprised if it’s the cause here. So your mate hasn’t noted a comparable shift?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Sat May 29, 2021 8:58 am

All is normal at the brewery. He obviously has a close eye on F.G. for timing his barrelling and accurate hydrometers with just a 10 point scale. I'm actually quite happy with the beer, just curious. I kind of hope it doesn't change! On the rare occasion that I keep some bottles for long periods.......maybe 3 months, they have higher carbonation, so still fermenting very slowly.
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............