WLP802 or WLP830

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
delboy

WLP802 or WLP830

Post by delboy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:58 pm

Im going to be doing some lager brewing before the cold weather leaves us i was thinking of trying some liquid yeast and have spied that beer tech are doing two of their lager yeasts half price.

The two strains are WLP802 Czech Budejovice and WLP830 German lager.

Has anyone tried either of these, any feedback welcome.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:07 pm

I've used WLP802 Czech Budejovice several times. I think it's a brilliant yeast, it's still produced one of my best beers to date, an Octoberfest, so it works in German lagers too IMO. It's very clean & crisp and I didnt get any diacetyl from it. I also made a Pilsner Urquell extract clone with it ages back and that turned out excellent too. Head and shoulders better than the beer I made with Saflager S-189.

I've got an out of date WLP830 German lager in the fridge but I haven't used it yet.

Thanks for the heads up about the half price yeast, might grab myself some :D

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:37 pm

Just grabbed some Hefeweizen WLP300 & Wit WLP400 yeast :)

delboy

Post by delboy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:56 pm

mysterio wrote:Just grabbed some Hefeweizen WLP300 & Wit WLP400 yeast :)
I was planning on getting those two as well, i bet you'll have got the last ones :x :wink:

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:01 pm

I would have taken the Abbey & Trappist too if they weren't sold out :(

delboy

Post by delboy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:18 pm

Weighed in and got the hefe, the wit and both the lager yeasts, between these and the ones i got from DaaB i have quite a few yeasts to trial in the brewery :D

delboy

Post by delboy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:41 pm

yeast ordered on wednesday afternoon, email sent asking did i want it sent so close to the weekend that evening, dispatched on the thursday and sitting on my doorstep on friday.

Thats what i call service, well done Beertech, compared to some shops i can think of thats lightning fast =D>

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:38 pm

Last year I brewed a black pilsner with the 802 and was very happy with the results. After three months of lagering a bit above freezing and it is really smooth.
Black pilsner is the grain bill from my german schwarz bier with the hops/yeast from a czech pilsner.
I'm just here for the beer.