Safale US 56

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
RabMaxwell

Safale US 56

Post by RabMaxwell » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:39 am

Hello all planning a brew in a few days going to use safale US 56 purchased in bulk few months back. Never used this yeast before and as i can set my temperature what's the best temperature to set for this yeast.Cheers

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:51 am

It's pretty similar to Nottingham. I think it works best around ~18C.

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:06 am

Cheers Mysterio

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:31 am

I purchased some of this on Weds for a SNPA clone I've got planned 8)
Dan!

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:39 am

I intend on using it in a Mocktoberfest ale I am planning to do.

tribs

Post by tribs » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:41 pm

I've used this yeast several times. I'd say its my favourite. I prefer to ferment @ 16C ambient. At that temperature it ferments really clean allowing the malt and hop character to be prominent. It always attenuates really well unlike s-04.

monk

Post by monk » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:38 pm

I really like this strain, too. When I first started brewing I used it, and never realized how nice it was until I began using other strains. Now I love going back to the ease of dumping a packet of 56 into the fermenter and never worrying about incomplete/slow ferments, excessive esters, etc.

I must say, though, that I'm a big fan of white labs 002 Eng ale, provided it's pitched with a good high cell count. That stuff makes quick work of the sugar and then drops out like peanut butter.

monk

onlooker

Post by onlooker » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:41 am

I always found US-56 to be a real poor flocer. My experiance was that it never dropped clear and I was always left drinking cloudy pints , even after months of conditioning.

I way prefer s-04 , its true that it doesnt ferment really dry, but it does give a nice fruit ester, and as a result of it poor attentuation, a good malty character.

niall

Post by niall » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:43 pm

56 works really well at 15-18C, nice clean flavours. It's a 'medium' floccer and probably works best for keg/barrel but I have bottled some beers with it and its pretty clear if you leave the last half inch in the bottle when pouring.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:25 am

onlooker wrote:I always found US-56 to be a real poor flocer. My experiance was that it never dropped clear and I was always left drinking cloudy pints , even after months of conditioning.
I've just used US-56 for the first time and it seemed fine. It wasn't as good as S-04 for floccing out (but what is?). I did chill the primary for a few days at about 4C before racking and then chilled the keg. It's bright in the keg without fining in 4 days.

Compared to some of the Belgian liquid strains I've used this was a doddle.

Belto
Piss Artist

Post by Belto » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:39 am

Have I killed my yeast?
On my second AG I placed fermenting bin on a heat mat and wrapped it in a blanket in the garage on Sunday
First inspection Monday all was ok, 25C a nice fluffy and peaked head (Nottingham Yeast)
To day checking again it is 35C and head has dissapeared although there seems to be life. From previous posts it seems as though the fermenting temperature should be a lot lower. What is the correct temperature I should be aiming for?

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:50 am

"The Nottingham strain was selected for its highly flocculent (precipitating) and relatively full attenuation (transforming sugar into alcohol) properties. It produces low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas and has been described as neutral for an ale yeast, allowing the full natural flavor of malt to develop. Good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures, 14°C (57°F), allow this strain to brew lager-style beer. Recommended 14° to 21°C (57° to 70°F) fermentation temperature range."

35 degC is not good. Highly likely that you'll get off tastes in the beer and headache-inducing properties :?
Dan!

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:09 pm

35C probably won't kill the yeast but it will probably taste a bit funky.

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:18 pm

DaaB wrote:Where did that come from Andy? Am I missing something, Nottingham isn't that flocculant at all and it isn't that stabe either so no good in bottles. It definately gets a bit fruity :shock: if you let the temperature creep up though. If you keep it in the 23-24 range though, these flavours seem to work quite well.
The manufacturer...

http://consumer.lallemand.com/danstar-l ... ngham.html
Dan!

Belto
Piss Artist

Post by Belto » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:51 am

I brew my beer in Greenhouse or garage where temperatures can fluctuate depending weather etc.(Banned from the house)Has there been any considerations to building a simple temperature controled box to keep the fermenter in or any design suggestions