Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale

Post by flytact » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:05 pm

Could this be a Tim Taylor strain?
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hbrew/VSS.htm

NEW Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale
From a well-known and highly regarded brewery in Keighley, West Yorkshire, England. Full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Bright beers easily achieved within days without filtration. For production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ale.
Alcohol tolerance approximately 9% ABV.
Flocculation: High.
Apparent Attenuation: 67-71% (64-72° F, 18-22° C)

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:30 pm

Looks like it, I think someone (Tubby Shaw?) posted a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. We like our TTL around here :wink:

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:33 pm

Savvy as they come, I am.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:46 pm

Let us know if you decide to try it out! I don't notice a huge amount of difference between the English ale strains personally but I would try this.

SteveD

Re: Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale

Post by SteveD » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:52 am

flytact wrote:Could this be a Tim Taylor strain?
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hbrew/VSS.htm

NEW Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale
From a well-known and highly regarded brewery in Keighley, West Yorkshire, England. Full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Bright beers easily achieved within days without filtration. For production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ale.
Alcohol tolerance approximately 9% ABV.
Flocculation: High.
Apparent Attenuation: 67-71% (64-72° F, 18-22° C)
I don't know of any other well known and highly regarded breweries in Keighley that produce famously balanced beers. Do you? I'm waiting for the TTL clone stampede.... well, even more of a stampede. :wink:

An observation on clone beer recipes - how much alteration can a recipe take before you have to stop calling it a clone of a particular beer?

I've seen posts where the writer goes along the lines of "I'm cloning such&such but I'm using a different base malt, more/less crystal, different hops, and a different yeast." Along those lines, could I legitmately clone say Guinness, but omit the roast and flaked barley, and pale malt, - substituting lager malt, changing the hops to Saaz, and using a bottom fermenting yeast?

:lol:

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:17 am

Looks like we have 'Clone Cops' now as well as the 'IPA Patrol' :lol:

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:18 am

mysterio wrote:Let us know if you decide to try it out! I don't notice a huge amount of difference between the English ale strains personally but I would try this.
I to am sceptical about the description and difference between yeasts, in one comparison chart WY1275 TV ale (Brakspear) was quoted as the alternative to WLP023 Burton ale :shock:

Whilst acknowledging the importance of yeast I tend to choose a one that has the attenuation and flocculation qualities that match the beer I'm brewing :wink:

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:18 pm

Scooby wrote:
mysterio wrote:Let us know if you decide to try it out! I don't notice a huge amount of difference between the English ale strains personally but I would try this.
I to am sceptical about the description and difference between yeasts, in one comparison chart WY1275 TV ale (Brakspear) was quoted as the alternative to WLP023 Burton ale :shock:
Yeah, these are just people guessing though. I don't think White Labs or Wyeast actually ever say where their yeasts are from (although they drop a few hints for some of them).

mr bond

Post by mr bond » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:24 pm

So did any of you guys ever get hold of this strain for trials?

I got 2 splits last december(06) and made a couple of brews with it.

Both finished super(puckeringly) dry and thin @ my usual 65c mash temp.

I still have 1 split in my fridge but am scared to use it again.

I am tempted to make up a starter and throw it at an upcoming bitter, but am thinking along the lines of pulling 2 litres of the high OG first runnings(I'm a batch sparger) and boiling rapidly and in a separate kettle down to 500 mls to get some caramelisation and add some sweetness to counter the aggressive attenuation.Will prolly mash at 67c as well .
Some of the stuff I've found on the net suggests that this strain is tailored to perform in shallow broad fermenters, and is unsuitable for brewing in a cylindrical plastic vessel.

any advice welcomed.

Dave

David Edge

Post by David Edge » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:32 pm

I don't know of any other well known and highly regarded breweries in Keighley that produce famously balanced beers.
I don't know of any! Landlord is deeply fruity and bitter at its best. If it were 'balanced' it wouldn't be as popular as it is.

One informed source reports that Taylor's yeast is a multi-strain culture so whatever Wyeast have got is unlikely to reproduce Landlord even if you managed to make an identical fermentation system.

Having fermented worts with Fullers yeast and WLP002 (which nobody doubts originated in Chiswick) all I can say is they make pretty different beers!

Oscar Brewer

wyeast 1469

Post by Oscar Brewer » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:10 am

I used this yeast for 2 brews not long ago and I found that the attenuation was a little higher than claimed, finishing at 1.007 from an original gravity of 1.042. The beers were pleasant with some fruitiness and a dry finish if a little thin in body. The second brew was made with yeast skimmed from the top of the first and I've also saved some on a slant. I think that when I use it again I'll up my mash temp from my usual 66c to 68c.
Oscar

mr bond

Re: wyeast 1469

Post by mr bond » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:22 am

Oscar Brewer wrote: The second brew was made with yeast skimmed from the top of the first . I think that when I use it again I'll up my mash temp from my usual 66c to 68c.
Oscar
Yeah its a top cropper alright,bit like 3068 weizen strain in its behaviour of hangin out at the top.

Like you I figured a higher mash temp is the go.

Cheers for the reply :wink:

dave

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:48 am

I've just ordered one of these. Having read this now, I shouldn't have bothered :cry:

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:42 pm

Just received a message from Patsy @ H&G to say it's out of stock so I can't have any. Result!