Aerators

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
tubby_shaw

Aerators

Post by tubby_shaw » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:54 pm

I wasn't too sure whether to post this here or in equipment, so I tossed a coin and it's going here :D
While I was out with the family earlier we popped into the aquatics shop to pick up some bits and I came across these
As i have a spare air pump etc I was going to try aerating with it next brew anyway, but as I read the back of the pack of these aerators and discovered that they can be dissasembled for cleaning
and therefore sanitising, so I bought them £1.99 for 2 :D
A hell of a lot cheaper than SS airstones and I would think easier to sanitise.

tubby_shaw

Post by tubby_shaw » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 pm

No the aerators won't filter out bacteria but then again running wort from one vessel to another or sloshing wort around with a beer paddle doesn't intoduce sterile air either :o
Yes the aquatics store I used today is probably the most expensive in the Midlands :( and airstones can be had cheaply, but they also have the most healthy and wide ranging selection of plants and fish :)

StrangeBrew
Under the Table

Post by StrangeBrew » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:41 pm

How much did they charge you for that tidler you're holding in your profile photo? :wink:

tubby_shaw

Post by tubby_shaw » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:50 pm

StrangeBrew wrote:How much did they charge you for that tidler you're holding in your profile photo? :wink:
£3.67 :wink:

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:39 am

advisable to use a HEPA with them anyway to filter out the bacteria / spores in the air - it's not an expensive filter to get. Palmer shows a design to make one using damp cotton wool.

Frothy

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:33 am

Frothy wrote:advisable to use a HEPA with them anyway to filter out the bacteria / spores in the air - it's not an expensive filter to get. Palmer shows a design to make one using damp cotton wool.

Frothy
I pump my air through an old White Labs tube filled with cotton wool & sprayed with cheap vodka :idea: :D

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:37 am

DaaB wrote:are you sure you aren't confusing Palmer with McGuyver or even Blue Peter :=P
It works if you use double sided sticky tape Daab :lol: :wink: :wink: