Making Agar Slants (Slopes) - In Pictures

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Making Agar Slants (Slopes) - In Pictures

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Right, I've bought me some agar. Look forward to trying it out using your instructions. Was a little expensive but should last for ages going by your quantities.

Cheers!

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:18 pm

johnmac wrote:Is there any harm in saving your old used slants and melting them down to use again?
Given the risk of yeast-strain-cross-contamination, the possibility of other infections, contamination or any manner of things going wrong, I'd have to ask why you'd want to do that?
10ml of wort/agar mix has to cost virtually nothing compared to the slight risk of having something go wrong by reusing it (even if I try I can never remove all the yeast, and usually do not bother keeping the slants sanitized once they have been used).

But I guess the yeast have only grown on the surface so if your sterilisation procedure was top-notch (which mine is not) it may be possible.
I've poured slants that solidify before I get to 'autoclave' them, but they liquefy and then re-set without any problem, so the theory is valid, just the risk of contamination is what I'd be concerned about.
floydmeddler wrote:Right, I've bought me some agar. Look forward to trying it out using your instructions. Was a little expensive but should last for ages going by your quantities.
The (25g) packet in my first picture cost the equivalent of 0.93 GBP and is enough for about 160 slants, by the sound of it you you got a life-time supply. :)

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:47 pm

I paid £4.50 for 28g. :shock: Bought this stuff:

160 slants is a life time supply for me as I don't add wort to the slant when wanting to use it. I Scrape some off the surface and add it to a mini wort.

Look forward to trying this stuff. Gelatine has been great but gets a little fragile.

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:53 pm

floydmeddler wrote:I paid £4.50 for 28g. :shock: Bought this stuff:
160 slants is a life time supply for me as I don't add wort to the slant when wanting to use it. I Scrape some off the surface and add it to a mini wort.
OK, now I understand the reason for conserving and reusing slants. ;)

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:18 pm

Given the risk of yeast-strain-cross-contamination, the possibility of other infections, contamination
What sort of yeast or infection will survive the autoclave?

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:26 pm

johnmac wrote:What sort of yeast or infection will survive the autoclave?
A real autoclave, probably not much, which is how/why/what they are used for.
However, a pressure cooker or other similar home/type 'autoclave', and non-sterile home-type work environment, as per the pictures (and AFIK what many Home Brewers use), I don't know, but personally I see no benefit from taking the risk, either in terms of time or money.

Gricey
Under the Table

Post by Gricey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:21 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-Plastic-Test-t ... 1734wt_913

Those look like the PP tubes. Dunno if I want to drop £20 though.
Bad Panda Brewery
Fermenting: FV1: AG#18 English IPA FV2: AG#19 Summer Dunkelweizen
Conditioning: AG#16 Chimay Reddish, AG#17 Amarillo Brillo
Maturing: AG#05 B.O.R.I.S.: Bricksh*tter Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout - ready 01/10/11, AG#07 Monkey Shot! IAPA - ready 16/06/11 maybe
Drinking: AG#11, AG#14, AG#15
Planning: AG#20 Summer Hefeweisen, AG#21 Saison Brettre, AG#22 Simcoe Poisoning Red IPA, AG#23 Oatmeal Stout

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:43 am

Gricey wrote:Those look like the PP tubes. Dunno if I want to drop £20 though.
So go for 10 @ £4.99, flat bottomed so you don't really need the stand, I have no affiliation with the seller, but his stuff has often been linked from these forums.

Gricey
Under the Table

Post by Gricey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:05 am

That's more like it!

edit: they're 30ml rather than 50ml, is that a big deal?
Bad Panda Brewery
Maturing: AG#05 B.O.R.I.S.: Bricksh*tter Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout - ready 01/10/11, AG#07 Monkey Shot! IAPA - ready 16/06/11 maybe
Planning: AG#20 Summer Hefeweisen, AG#21 Saison Brettre, AG#22 Simcoe Poisoning Red IPA, AG#23 Oatmeal Stout

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 am

The plastic ones in the picture in the first post (which I edited to make it clear) are 30ml, so they are ideal/the same.

Gricey
Under the Table

Post by Gricey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:31 am

Bonzer, cheers
Bad Panda Brewery

MARMITE

Post by MARMITE » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:43 am

Made my slants last night and all seems to have gone smoothly.At the moment they are at 20-25c for proving.I have some plastic loops which presumably are sterile until I open the packet.Should I sterilize the loops with something like vodka before use?.Also some detailed advice on how to grow the cultures up would be very much appreciated.

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:00 am

I used to dip my plastic loop in vodka after I ran out of denatured (rubbing) alcohol which (I think) is a better option, but metal loops are easier to sterilise (via heat) and hence better IMHO.
I've got a few more pics, so plan to do another set of posts with how I make and use slants, but really you just inoculate them with your loop and let them sit and grow for a few days/week and thats it. :)

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks for such an informative thread wolfy!

Ps, love the sig, APC have to be one of my favourite bands ever!

mentaldental

Post by mentaldental » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:54 pm

Back in my youth I used a hot air sterilizer in a clinical setting. It was basically just an electric oven. Hot air is an effective but limited method of sterilization (no good for plastics etc). It's biggest drawback compared to the now ubiquitous autoclave is time:

Hot Air
160°C for 2 hours
180°C for 1 hour

Autoclave
135°C (2 bar) 3 minutes
121°C (1 bar) 20 minutes

If you use a pressure cooker as an "autoclave" remember that actually it isn't an autoclave. In particular you will rely on the steam displacing the air from the cooker. Until all the air is gone sterilization won't start. So allow time for this to happen and also make sure that any hollow vessels (pots, tubes etc) are open to allow access for the steam.

Also don't forget the dishwasher, if you have one. Medical instrument washers are dish washers in all but name (although never tell the manufacturer's agent that :D ). They get the contents so clean that they are sterile in everything but name. In medicine they are important because they remove (non-living) prions which are uneffected by an autoclave. I have used a dishwasher to disinfect bottles and the beer has been sound after 12 months, so it seems to work.