Making Agar Slants (Slopes) - In Pictures

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Making Agar Slants (Slopes) - In Pictures

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Right. Decided to give Agar a go. Scales are at a friend's so used teaspoons. :shock:

Made 100ml of wort/agar solution:

4tsp DME and 1.5tsp Agar. Probably a little more agar than what was needed but hopefully that won't be a problem.

Just waiting for them to set now then will inoculate a few.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Right, I'm completely sold. These have set ALREADY! Have placed them upside down to allow the condensation to run into the lids. Was thinking about dabbing it off the lid with a piece of kitchen towel made slightly damp with Star San?

Any thoughts?

Bobba
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Bobba » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Hey, I've got a few questions regarding this lot.
- Are there any disadvantages to using Petri dishes over slants?
- If you you pre-sterilised Petri dishes, and I boil the Agar-wort for a good 15 mins before adding, can I get away without autoclaving?
- Where 's the best place to get metal inoculating loops?
Thanks as always!

FV: -
Conditioning: AG34 Randy's Three Nipple Tripel 9.2%, AG39 APA for a mate's wedding
On bottle: AG32 Homegrown Northdown ESB, AG33 Homegrown Cascade Best
On tap: -
Garden: 2x cascade, 2x Farnham whitebine (mathon), 2x northdown, 1x first gold

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:57 pm

Bobba wrote:Hey, I've got a few questions regarding this lot.
Only one I can think of is that the slants are kept air tight. Purpose of petri dishes is to isolate the colonies in order to then transfer them over to slants for storage.

Only question I can answer - sorry.

tim

Post by tim » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:44 am

Right, I'm completely sold. These have set ALREADY! Have placed them upside down to allow the condensation to run into the lids. Was thinking about dabbing it off the lid with a piece of kitchen towel made slightly damp with Star San?

Any thoughts?
Have also just given this a go (thanks for the really informative thread!!) and have noticed small amount of condensation in the tubes - is this a problem or is it important to get rid of it before using?
Tim

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Have seen slants with condensation before and have used them. They've been OK - just messy looking.

With this current batch, I sat them all upside down for 24 hrs then undid the lids and quickly poured off the water. Still a little in there but much tidier. My Gelatine batch didn't have this problem. Odd...

Bobba

Post by Bobba » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:29 am

I've read that you can leave them upside down, with the lid slightly undone, and the slants covered (to stop contamination by dust) for a couple of days and the condensation should evaporate.

Conditioning: AG34 Randy's Three Nipple Tripel 9.2%, AG39 APA for a mate's wedding

tim

Post by tim » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks guys - will give em a go then!
Tim

Bobba

Post by Bobba » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:23 pm

After obtaining a pressure cooker last week (reduced currently in Morrisons), I gave this a go this afternoon.
I have some pre-sterile plastic Petri dishes and plastic tubes, so made some slants and plates to work with. I dont think either container will withstand the "autoclave" so as pre-sterile, as decided to simply autoclave the agar/wort and then pipette 20ml's into the flasks and Petri dishes.

The plates seemed to have turned out great. The slants however didn't work out as well - the surface is covered in quite large bubbles (not a nice flat agar surface to work with) and they is also very visible clumps of break material.
I did notice the break as I was filling them up, but decided to ignore it and carry on! Not sure how much of a problem it is?
However, the bubbles on the surface I suspect are a show-stopper are they not? Perhaps I just need to optimise my pipetting technique for less bubbles - it just seems a bit tricky as you can't really run it down the side of the flask as one doesn't want the agar getting to places other than the slanted base.
Any tips here?! :D

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:06 pm

floydmeddler wrote:Right, I'm completely sold. These have set ALREADY! Have placed them upside down to allow the condensation to run into the lids. Was thinking about dabbing it off the lid with a piece of kitchen towel made slightly damp with Star San?

Any thoughts?
The condensation can contribute to the spoiling or contamination of the slant, depending on how they are made the wort/agar may absorb the excess liquid or you may need to tip it out. If you sanitize the outside of the vial, have a flame source close by and carefully open then tip out the excess moisture you should be fine, dabbing might open the risk of infection a little more.
Bobba wrote:Hey, I've got a few questions regarding this lot.
- If you you pre-sterilised Petri dishes, and I boil the Agar-wort for a good 15 mins before adding, can I get away without autoclaving?
- Where 's the best place to get metal inoculating loops?
Thanks as always!
Petri dishes have a larger surface area, which means they dry out more quickly and there is a higher risk of contamination when you have them open for use, they are also harder to seal and keep air-tight which also increases the risk of infection. So, in general, Petri dishes are not as useful for long-term storage.

If you are lucky you can get away with anything, however, nothing beats super zealous overly pedantic sanitation in order for you to keep your slants in the best condition possible. It may be that your suggestion works well, most of the time (or even all of the time) but it does open the door just a little to the risk of infections.

You can make your own metal loops (as per the details in the other sticky thread here).
Bobba wrote:After obtaining a pressure cooker last week (reduced currently in Morrisons), I gave this a go this afternoon.
I have some pre-sterile plastic Petri dishes and plastic tubes, so made some slants and plates to work with. I dont think either container will withstand the "autoclave" so as pre-sterile, as decided to simply autoclave the agar/wort and then pipette 20ml's into the flasks and Petri dishes.

The plates seemed to have turned out great. The slants however didn't work out as well - the surface is covered in quite large bubbles (not a nice flat agar surface to work with) and they is also very visible clumps of break material.
I did notice the break as I was filling them up, but decided to ignore it and carry on! Not sure how much of a problem it is?
However, the bubbles on the surface I suspect are a show-stopper are they not? Perhaps I just need to optimise my pipetting technique for less bubbles - it just seems a bit tricky as you can't really run it down the side of the flask as one doesn't want the agar getting to places other than the slanted base.
Any tips here?! :D
Polypropylene (PP) plastic can be heated and autoclaved, where other plastic such as LDPE or Polystyrene (PS) cannot, so it just depends what your dishes are made from (I think most plastic Petri dishes are PS).

If you are getting bubbles it may be that your mixture is a little too solid, having cooled too much or used too much agar. If the wort/agar is still very liquid you should be able to pour it into the tubes (tap them a little to remove any trapped air) and then lay them on an angle without any concern about bubbles. Any large clumps (of break or other material) should be removed before you mix the agar, else they may also cause problems.

swheatbeer

Post by swheatbeer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:47 am

sterilising in a microwave

I dont have a pressure cooker but do have a baby so I have a microwave steriliser. has anyone put the slopes in a microwave steriliser? it works for babies bottles

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:58 am

To be sterilized items must be heated for "15 minutes at 121 °C or 3 minutes at 134 °C".

I'd guess that the microwave bottle 'sterlizer' (like the electrical baby bottle steamer I have here) is simply a convenient way to heat treat the baby-items with steam at or about 100°C which would kill most things, but not all. If so it's one of those things that works pretty well, especially if you do not have an autoclave or pressure cooker, but it's not ideal.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:47 am

Thanks for guide, inspired me to give it a try.

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:51 am

Q. Are polystyrene test tubes able to withstand 121C?

gregorach
Under the Table

Post by gregorach » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:05 am

greenxpaddy wrote:Q. Are polystyrene test tubes able to withstand 121C?
No.

Nalgene have a very useful list of which plastics can be autoclaved here.
Cheers

Dunc