Other uses for Wyeast 1728 "Scottish"

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Other uses for Wyeast 1728 "Scottish"

Post by flytact » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:11 pm

I've got a series of brews going over three weekends. This coming weekend (2nd) I'll be dumping a batch of 80\- onto a 1728 yeast cake. My question is what will happen if I brew an ESB or an ordinary bitter and put it on top of the yeast cake? Any suggestions?

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:20 pm

It will start fermenting extremely quickly and probably quite violently.

My advice would be to make sure you have a Blow Off tub attached to your fermenter - this will take the 'overflow' krausen into a bottle rather than all over the floor!

Example Here

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:42 pm

thanks for the warnings, but I'm quite aware (as is my wife) about the violence inherited when you use a yeast cake.

I'm really asking about what the yeast will do to an ESB or ordinary bitter, flavor wise and such.

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:44 pm

Gotcha :) Can't really help too much with Yeast Profiles :(

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:53 pm

The scottish strain is supposedly fairly unattenuative so is likely to leave a beer a bit on the sweet side - similar to the Fuller's yeast. The Fullers yeast does have a very distinctive flavour profile though which the Scottish yeast is unlikely to match.

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:18 pm

So maybe mash at a low temp to minimize the sweetness?

The Cardinal

I dunno.

Post by The Cardinal » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:05 am

I don't really have an opinion on this, or any knowledge. Sorry I can't be of more help.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:43 am

I actually found the Scottish strain a little more attenuative than is indicated on the website. I think it would be great in an ESB.

BitterTed

Post by BitterTed » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:15 pm

mysterio wrote:I actually found the Scottish strain a little more attenuative than is indicated on the website. I think it would be great in an ESB.
I agree. That strain makes a fine Bitter or ESB.