wyeast british ale

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
DRB

wyeast british ale

Post by DRB » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:25 pm

Will the wyeast british ale yeas do the job of of fermenting an old ale at a gravity of 1070-1080.
Or can someone suggest one.Any yeast dry or liquid.

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:19 pm

I have used safale S-04 to brew with gravities similar to yours.

tribs

Post by tribs » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:14 am

1098 Brit Ale and S-04 are supposedly the same strain. I've used both and can believe this is true.

BitterTed

Re: wyeast british ale

Post by BitterTed » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:13 pm

DRB wrote:Will the wyeast british ale yeas do the job of of fermenting an old ale at a gravity of 1070-1080.
Or can someone suggest one.Any yeast dry or liquid.
I see no reason why it won't ferment a wort of 1.070-1.080. Just make a large starter and pitch it while it is active. I generally make a starterof 2 ltr, let it ferment out, then the morning of brewing pour off the liquid and give it a small starter to get it active by pitching time. Aerate your batch well and it'll go like crazy!

BarryNL

Post by BarryNL » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:27 am

tribs wrote:1098 Brit Ale and S-04 are supposedly the same strain. I've used both and can believe this is true.
I dunno, S-04 seems to clump much more and is far more flocculant.

DRB

Post by DRB » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:32 am

I used s-04 in the end as I had some in, seems to be working.

Paul_S

Post by Paul_S » Tue May 15, 2007 8:50 am

My most spectacular fermentation ever was using yeast from Ma Pardoe's light mild (SG 1032 ish) in a Xmas barley wine (1095ish). It went completely mental & threw a huge rocky head which I had to skim regularly to avoid it escaping the fermenter! It also cleared beautifully and clung like a limpet to the bottom of the bottles. I obtained a pint from the bottom of a freshly finished barrel (I finished most of it!) and simply chucked it in.

I've yet to find an ale yeast which won't go like a rocket in a high SG wort as long as it is properly activated first and the wort is aerated enough. Your only issue may be getting it to settle, but the quality yeasts available now should behave just like their commercial cousins as far as flocculation & settling go.