Rinsing Yeast (in Pictures)

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Rinsing Yeast (in Pictures)

Post by Dennis King » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Reading this thread with interest. I've always split the vials at the start but thinking of using this method for the next 2 vials at least. One is WLP002 which has been said here is not the easiest, the other is WLP007, I'm wondering if any one has tried this method with WLP007.

snakepie@hotmail.com

Post by snakepie@hotmail.com » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 pm

Hello,

I need your help! :)

I have currently got a jar of mostly trub with an extremely thin layer of yeast. I was rinsing Saflager w-34 / 70. I fear the trub has most of the yeast in it due to all grain brewing with proteins at the bottom.

Am I able to pitch the lot into my next brew? - what would the effects be of doing so with the trub?

Thanks

Gareth

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:44 pm

I had a go at this yesterday with Wyeast London ESB ale (Fullers) I only got the liquid seperating out,so pitched probably quite a lot of trub,into a Big Lamp bitter clone. It's bubbling away nicely,so I'm not overly bothered.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

Oli1979

Post by Oli1979 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:56 pm

I had a go at yeast washing/ harvesting from my last brew. It worked!
This is how i harvest and re-use my yeast from the bottom of my fermenting vessel. It may not be by the book, but for me it works.
Start by syphoning off your beer into either keg or 2nd fermenter. Now you are left with a small amount of beer and trub at the bottom of your FV:-
Boil up 1 litre of tap water for 10-15 mins. (this should kill off any bacteria):-
Sit the pan in a sink full of cold water to bring the temp back down to around 25'c:-
Sterelise all equipment that will come into contact with the yeast mix. I use a 3 litre growler, funnel and 150ml containers:-
Once the boiled water has cooled down, empty into FV and mix and swill around until all the crap has come loose:-
Pour the mixed up trub and water into the large vessel through a funnel:-
Try and tilt the vessel over as much as possible and pop some stereslised tin foil over the mouth:-
By tilting the vessel over slightly, it will help with pouring the yeast out and leaving the trub/ protein behind.
Leave rested for 15 to 20 mins, let the trub settle in the bottom, the yeast will still be suspended in the water:-
Slowly pour this mixture of yeast and water into another stelelised container, i've used the 1 litre jug:-
Share out the mixture into the 150ml containers and close the lid tight:-
Pop these containers into the fridge:-
After 2-3 hours the yeast will start settling in the bottom:-
If you have any comments/ critisism please let me know.
Happy brewing! :cheers:

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Oli1979 wrote:I had a go at yeast washing/ harvesting from my last brew. It worked!

If you have any comments/ critisism please let me know.
Happy brewing! :cheers:
Very good post indeed, thank you for sharing it with us. I am wondering if you leave your boiled water totally uncovered while it is cooling in your sink? You may want to tent it with some tin foil to avoid collecting any nasties that are floating about.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Oli1979

Post by Oli1979 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:01 am

Ah yes, the photos don't show the lid i used!
Yes after 10 mins of boiling i put the lid on. Left the lid on for 5 mins to sterelise it.
I Kept the lid on while cooling in the sink.

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi, this is exactly what I'm after. Just wondering how long it will last in the fridge? Also, how many 150ml jar would you need for a 25l batch? Thanks

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:38 pm

Which is the good yeast in this photo?
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719