WHitelabs burton wlp023

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
DRB

WHitelabs burton wlp023

Post by DRB » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:31 pm

Anybody tried it,any good just ordered some,wifes choice #-o .

Kev.

Post by Kev. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:56 pm

I've always got some wlp023 on slants as I've used it a lot for my pales and bitters as it produces some fruity tones which I find works well for these styles. It's a good un! :wink:

I also like their wlp028 as it's excellent for my scottish beers, I've just pitched a starter of this into my cale 80/- (GW's recipe) just this afternoon, mmmmm!

DRB

Post by DRB » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:34 pm

Thanks i'm going to be doing a light ale with it.

DRB

Post by DRB » Fri May 11, 2007 2:01 pm

I pitched this yeast going on 24 hours without making a starter and no activity yet.How long should I leave it before adding a packet of dried yeast .

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Fri May 11, 2007 2:06 pm

How old was it (date on the pack)?

I'm not surprised it's not started yet if you didn't use a starter. That's why people tell you to make one....

DRB

Post by DRB » Fri May 11, 2007 2:11 pm

Best before end june 07,I know I should have made a starter but I was going to use the brewlab yeast starter I made as per the instructions said on the pack, but I thought this was to small and needed for it to grow more, hence throwing the burton in.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Fri May 11, 2007 2:18 pm

Given that date, according to the Mr Malty calculator, half the yeast in the tube were already dead.

The correct pitching rate for tubes that old would be between 3 and 4 tubes without a starter.

It should get going in the next 24 hours anyway - if it doesn't start worrying.

DRB

Post by DRB » Sat May 12, 2007 9:07 am

It's been 40 hours now since pitching the yeast and upon looking at it, it has a small white layer starting to show,should I now stop freting knowing its kicking off or should I drop a packet of dry in.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Sat May 12, 2007 10:10 am

Any airlock action?

The white stuff is probably the yeast getting going - hopefully the yeast you pitched not one just floating around in your brewery. :shock:

DRB

Post by DRB » Sat May 12, 2007 10:21 am

No airlock action, I snap the lid on then crack it off a bit.
:shock:

DRB

Post by DRB » Sat May 12, 2007 9:35 pm

All up and running now,took it's time though.

AT

Post by AT » Sat May 12, 2007 11:49 pm

Glad to hear DRB stressful times :wink: