brewferm lager pack

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
delboy

brewferm lager pack

Post by delboy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:13 pm

Noticed when putting an order together on H&G that brewferm do a 100g sachet of lager yeast for about £7 quid odd.
Although quite expensive surely this would remove the need for any starter foo-fah (i've seen yeast pitching rates requiring up to 1.2 gallons for a 5 gallon batch of lager :wacko: )
Its actually not a bad price when you compare it with the price of liquid yeasts and if you were to buy the corresponding amount of yeast in the normal 12g sachets you'd be talking about £14.
Has anybody bought and tried one of the big 100g sachets?

UserDeleted

Post by UserDeleted » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:43 pm

If you are brewing a large volumes of lager then the big packs are the way to go as you are talking of pitching 70-120g/HL for pitching at 12-15C and up to 200-300g if pitching at 9C (for the fermentis yeasts).

Unless you are brewing 50L batches back to back, then the 100g sachets might be overkill, although its only massive overpitching that can be harmful, and thats really only with respect for ales where most of the ester profile is produced during the lag phase (reproductive phase)

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:14 pm

I haven't bought a 100g pack but I've considered it as Fermentis/DCL sell a lot more yeasts in that pack size. The problem is storage once opened. It might be OK for Rab (he does big batches) but I wouldn't use a pack that quick.

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:39 pm

Hello steve i reckon you should be okay with the 100g pack. I split my 500g pack US 56 into 100g old tubs i saved from hop & grape. I cleaned & sterilised then dried well before filling & storing them in the fridge. I have been getting 3 brews from each tub using the slurry twice from each tub. I am hoping it will last a year & a half

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:32 pm

The key is to pitch the right amount rather than overpitching. Overpitching a lager wort can lead to a bland tasting lager apparently. You'd have to be producing a lot of beer to get through 100g or have a good way of storing the remaining yeast.

UserDeleted

Post by UserDeleted » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:39 pm

mysterio wrote:You'd have to be producing a lot of beer to get through 100g
If you are pitching at the commercial rate 80-120g per hectalitre (at 12-15C) thats not to difficult to achieve :). If pitching at 9C then you are looking at 200-300g (in 100L) which is 100-150g in 50L so its quite easy to use up 100g :) and that is only 4 25L batches. While I know I can reuse the yeast slurry from the previous batch, I do prefer to pitch fresh dry yeast