Fullers yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Fullers yeast

Post by pas8280 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Just (hopefully) harvested the yeast from a bottle of Fullers 1845 just wondering if its the same as the yeast used in Bengal Lancer and what the equivilant White Labs yeast would be
My first harvesting of bottled yeast (Worthington White Shield) went well despite a dodgy start and was grown to 2 litre then split into 8 x 250ml for fridge storage. I will be then be growing to a 2 litre starter for pitching, having never got that far yet is it advisable to pitch the whole 2 litre or just the settled yeast on the bottom ? i have saved some second runnings wort from Fridays brew its in a 2 litre PET bottle and fridged how long will that be suitable for using to grow the yeast before i need drop it down the drain ?
Few questions there when i only intended to ask about the yeast strain thanks all :)
Paul
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Fullers yeast

Post by trucker5774 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:57 pm

Paul, I have attempted the 1845 on 3 occasion............failed miserably as I just drank it and slung the bottle :oops:

As for the wort , I have bottled it and kept it for months before use. I always boil it again though. I usually pitch starters from 18hrs old to 3 days. If there is a clear yeast layer, I pour off most of the spent wort and slosh the remainder around to lift the yeast sediment and pitch that.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:48 am

WLP002 and Wy1968 are commonly thought to be 'Fullers yeast'.

I prefer to let the yeast ferment, settle and then decant the spent starter-beer, but other people pitch the entire starter, just depends on your process and procedures.

weiht

Post by weiht » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Wld it be better to buy a new yeast instead? Since the rule has always be repitch yeast from lower alcohol beers

coatesg

Post by coatesg » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:05 pm

I've never got recultured Fullers bottle yeast to work out well - fermented three beers out, but just wasn't "right". WLP002 and Wyeast 1968 have never failed me yet.

pas8280

Post by pas8280 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:25 pm

Well the fullers failed to get going in 100 mls step up so Brakespear triple drop will be the next one to try. I will get a vail of WLP002 and grow that methinks

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

unclepumble

Post by unclepumble » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:44 pm

the slurry from 2 bottles of bengal lancer props up really well, but I will agree with graham the finished beer made from it, is not brill I found they turn out a bit earthy. Brakespear yeast does the trick though.

UP

pas8280

Post by pas8280 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:00 pm

Well now what exactly is happening with this, i thought it hadn't taken and was about to drop it down the plug hole and hey ho ist got off after 3 and a half days ? will it be ok to use or will the wort have gone off ? its been under airlock all the time. ??

barney

Post by barney » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:07 pm

It will be fine, I went through the same thing with my Westmalle, After the step ups it was perfectly fine and it took off like a rocket.

sventy

Post by sventy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:50 pm

harvested some 1845 yeast rather drunkenly in a jamjar (sterile) couple of weeks ago nothing happened for a week then suddenly came to life. Seems to be working well in current brew...

bellebouche
Hollow Legs

Post by bellebouche » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:13 pm

Posting here... to an old thread because the overall tenet is that the fullers yeast might be troublesome to cultivate?

not so...

From a fresh bottle, into a 1020 starter it spins up on a stir plate exceptionally well to give exceptional results. It's flocculant, good attenuation and lots of classic london esters if fermented at around the 22c mark. I've been very pleased with this yeast.

This pic, a 2nd gen brew from an 1845 captured 8 weeks ago. I had similar results from a beer fermented on a 4th gen brew grown from Bengal Lancer.

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:44 pm

I've been using these yeasts a lot in the last 6 months and have produced some good beers with them. If you're reasonably careful with cleanliness they can be recovered from Fullers bottles quite easily. A little heat (say 24C) helps in the recovery process. The 1845 and Bengal Lancer yeasts are a little bit different, I reckon, although obviously quite closely related - suited to darker and lighter beers as you'd imagine.

I've re-started both these yeasts from my own bottled beers as well. So far I've not noticed any change in the yeast character.

zgoda

Re: Odp: Fullers yeast

Post by zgoda » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:22 am

How about bottle stability? I have bad experience with bottled beers fermented by Fuller's strain from Wyeast. It was always overcarbonated after 6 - 8 weeks and lost all these nice flavours it had initially.

bellebouche
Hollow Legs

Re: Odp: Fullers yeast

Post by bellebouche » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:17 am

zgoda wrote:How about bottle stability? I have bad experience with bottled beers fermented by Fuller's strain from Wyeast. It was always overcarbonated after 6 - 8 weeks and lost all these nice flavours it had initially.
That's an interesting point. I've no access to the Wyeast variant... only culturing up from yeasts harvested from the actual fullers beers.

Couple of comments though. Your bottle stability could be influenced by a whole host of things. The beer grist/mash temp. Your FG when you bottle.. your choice of priming etc. etc. lots to explore before arriving at a conclusion.

I choose to cold condition after fermentation for 7-10 days where I can and then bottle up with little-to-no priming sugar. This gives a slow bottle carb from whatever yeast is still in suspension. I get a lot of tiny tiny bubbles that way and very little bottle sediment. The sediment that is thrown sticks like glue to the bottle so a good clear pour.

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:04 pm

I have a bitter made with the 1845 yeast that's been in bottle for 4 months now. No problems so far.