stupid question?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
AT

stupid question?

Post by AT » Fri May 04, 2007 8:12 pm

this could turn out to be the stupideeesst question i ever asked but hey i have to ask anyway. I've been reading about the different taste produced by different yeast. Does anybody or is it even possible to mix yeast to, well mix the flavour created?

iowalad
Under the Table

Post by iowalad » Fri May 04, 2007 9:58 pm

I have heard reference to various brewers mixing yeast (Brakspear of Henley was one).

From what I have read on the forums one yeast tends to dominate the other particularly if one is pitched in much larger quantities than the other.

AT

Post by AT » Sat May 05, 2007 12:43 am

i was thinking about maybe with my chimay clone, instead of pitching wlp500 again after 7 days i might pitch safale04 to finish the job depending on the gravity

tubby_shaw

Post by tubby_shaw » Sat May 05, 2007 6:42 am

alexander taipan wrote:i was thinking about maybe with my chimay clone, instead of pitching wlp500 again after 7 days i might pitch safale04 to finish the job depending on the gravity
I wouldn't use S04 for the second pitching personally AT, the yeast creates so much of the character of the Chimay beers that using another yeast may give you dissapointing results :(
I also think that S04 may struggle to get going in such an high alcohol enviroment :?
Just my 2p worth :)