mishap wyeast propagator

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
delboy

mishap wyeast propagator

Post by delboy » Thu May 10, 2007 10:01 pm

Had a mishap this evening, i was boiling 2L of wort in a glass pyrex flask for a propagator yeast pack when the bloody thing failed dumping 2L of wort all over the place. Of course it was the very last of my DME and to make things worse the propogator pack was smacked this morning and is fit to burst (don't know if that is possible).

Would it be ok to stick the yeast pack back into the fridge until tomorow nite when i can get some DME and make a new starter.

I was playing with the notion of throwing it into some apple juice (i was also going to make a starter for TC anyway) but maybe thats a stoopid idea.

iowalad
Under the Table

Post by iowalad » Thu May 10, 2007 10:37 pm

I wouldn't bother with the fridge if it is only going to be a day.

delboy

Post by delboy » Thu May 10, 2007 10:48 pm

iowalad wrote:I wouldn't bother with the fridge if it is only going to be a day.

Yeah i suppose 1 day isn't going to do it any harm, i guess you're right that its probably better to leave at a constant temp than chill it again.

I just hope the LHBS has DME (they often run out) if they don't it could still end up in an apple juice starter.

delboy

Post by delboy » Thu May 10, 2007 10:56 pm

DaaB wrote:Buy a cheap kit beer if they do :D
Thats a cracking idea, i could pour the excess into a sterilised/sanitised container and use it for other starters as well is suppose.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri May 11, 2007 9:46 am

Don't use apple juice to make a starter, this doesn't have the nutrients for proper cell growth.

I've actually mashed some grains on a cooker for 20 minutes before to make a starter when i've ran out of DME.

delboy

Post by delboy » Fri May 11, 2007 12:54 pm

mysterio wrote:Don't use apple juice to make a starter, this doesn't have the nutrients for proper cell growth.

I've actually mashed some grains on a cooker for 20 minutes before to make a starter when i've ran out of DME.
Thats another good idea, how much would you need to mash to make a 2L starter about 1040, considering this would be a no sparge mash (would it?).

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri May 11, 2007 1:54 pm

400g assuming 70% extraction, but I would use 500g and dilute to the required gravity and use 2l of that to make a starter :wink:

With sparge :!:

ColinKeb

Post by ColinKeb » Fri May 11, 2007 2:12 pm

as a habit i always collect a small freezer bag of wort after almost every brew and chuck it in the freezer , that way youve always got a ready supply for starters . it saves all that dme nonsense anyway :D

delboy

Post by delboy » Fri May 11, 2007 7:04 pm

mysterio wrote:Don't use apple juice to make a starter, this doesn't have the nutrients for proper cell growth.

how do you volaruf and clarify the beer when using such a small volume of grain, it would just sit in the voild of the mash tun and the depth of the filter bed would be minute (i've only got the H&G setup).

delboy

Post by delboy » Fri May 11, 2007 7:37 pm

Cheers mate you're a star, i needed to get this done pronto so i can get down the pub with the missus, was hanging about the computer stalling for time hoping for a reply.
:D