Where to buy Wyeast 1764-PC / Pacman Yeast in the UK?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
salnajjar

Where to buy Wyeast 1764-PC / Pacman Yeast in the UK?

Post by salnajjar » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:13 am

Pretty much as the title says, I'm trying to find the Rogue Ales Pacman Yeast (Wyeast 1764-PC) in the UK and not having much luck.

I may try and grab some bottles of their beer and cultivate it myself but am worried that there wouldn't be much viable yeast to cultivate after the beer having been shipped from the US to the UK probably by container ship...

Any help gratefully appreciated :)

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Where to buy Wyeast 1764-PC / Pacman Yeast in the UK?

Post by Beer O'Clock » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:12 am

While I can't help with that particular yeast, you are right to be cautious over the viability of imported bottles. There is no guarentee the bottles were fresh when containered. I have had the devil's own time trying to propogate a Coopers strain from bottles here. The Aussies also seem to have an issue even from one state to another. So crossing the pond is fraught with obstacles.

I guess what I am saying is try it, but don't be surprised if it's not viable.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

salnajjar

Post by salnajjar » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:52 pm

Yeah, that's my thoughts as well... I've posted a request to a US brewing community asking if someone would be willing to purchase some and express air-mail it to me.

If they do then I'll make up some slants and be willing to share with others if they want...

alikocho

Post by alikocho » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:33 pm

I recently heard that this has ceased to be a seasonal yeast. Morebeer have it listed in their catalogue

salnajjar

Post by salnajjar » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:53 pm

I've found someone on the reddit homebrewing forum who's willing to ship some to me. Is going to cost a premium but I'll make some slants out of it and make them available to others who want to try this highly regarded beastie.

alikocho

Post by alikocho » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:23 pm

salnajjar wrote:I've found someone on the reddit homebrewing forum who's willing to ship some to me. Is going to cost a premium but I'll make some slants out of it and make them available to others who want to try this highly regarded beastie.
If you get some, I'd be very interested.

Deebee
Even further under the Table

Post by Deebee » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:44 pm

alikocho wrote:
salnajjar wrote:I've found someone on the reddit homebrewing forum who's willing to ship some to me. Is going to cost a premium but I'll make some slants out of it and make them available to others who want to try this highly regarded beastie.
If you get some, I'd be very interested.
Me too! Have a jaipur clone wanting to be brewed:-)
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)

zipfly
Steady Drinker

Post by zipfly » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:33 pm

I`d like some too, willing to pay for a good pitch so I can grow it up and get on with Rogue clone brews.
Dave

alikocho

Post by alikocho » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:38 pm

I have some slanted...

seymour

Post by seymour » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Sounds like you already figured this out, but the "-PC" always stands for Private Collection, of which Wyeast only releases a few each calendar quarter. I think the last time they did Pacman was Jan-March 2010. There's no telling if or when they'll do it again, so a homebrew guild or someone like alikocho with their own private bank is your best way to go.

That said, I predict you'd get the same or better results using the McEwan strain (White Labs WLP028 or Wyeast 1728) without all the fuss. I kid you not.

weiht

Post by weiht » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:24 am

I wouldnt reculture it from the bottle. Reason being, I've done it before and the yeast inside seems pretty tired and stressed.

The yeast is available ALL YEAR ROUND, but u can only order it from rebel brewer.. This is one of my favourite 3 yeast!! Excellent for porters and stouts, finishes clean and dry but allows some residual sweetness and body to come through.

Do note that John Maier ferments at 62F with this yeast for most beers.

Attenuates between 73-75% in my experience

seymour

Post by seymour » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:26 pm

weiht wrote:...The yeast is available ALL YEAR ROUND, but u can only order it from rebel brewer...
Cool, I stand corrected. I wonder if it's a special exclusive deal they made with the Rebel Brewer shop? I knew Wyeast only offers 1945 NB NeoBritannia through the Northern Brewer shop, for instance. Well, as long as UK members are willing to have it shipped like you, sounds like the way to go.

weiht

Post by weiht » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Seymour, not here to correct anyone yeah!!! Just to share with fellow Rogue fans!!!

I basically emailed and tweeted wyeast about the yeast as they have not released it for quite a while!! They replied to buy thru Rebel brewers which i'm glad i did, and slanted it..

Big rogue/john maier fan here :D

Correction, sadly i'm not from the UK altho I used to visit often enough to say i'm a londoner lol

alikocho

Post by alikocho » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:25 pm

My slant came from yeast direct from Rogue.

weiht

Post by weiht » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:36 am

How could anyone beat that??

BTW, there's a story where wyeast or whitelabs went to Rogue and managed to culture up a brewers yeast from John Maier's beard, and it wasn't the pacman!!!