Yeast from brew to brew

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Yeast from brew to brew

Post by Reg » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:07 am

I gather from the literature on the subject that yeast will acclimatise and learn to live on the food you feed it and have read some stuff on running yeast on from brew to brew to keep consistent results when you have a good recipe ...

Anybody been involved in this? :huh:

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:32 am

Many years ago, when I was still brewing with kits, I used to buy Boots' yeast in suspension (they don't do it any more).

The price of that made me try reusing the yeast from batch to batch. It worked OK most of the time, but I had a couple of brews that had off flavours, and that put me off doing it.

Of course I now know that I should have acid washed the yeast to remove bacteria every so often, and that would have cured that problem.

The amount of effort that goes into a grain brew is so great that I don't mind paying for a reasonably expensive yeast (say £1.20) for eash brew. I'd still like to try one of the special yeast cultures that you buy though, but they cost about a fiver a go, so you'd have to reuse them to make it economical.

All the same, I think there's still a lot of other things to get right in a grain brew before you start worrying too much about the yeast; the balance of malt sweetness and hop bitterness is the hardest thing to get consistently right, I find. When I can do that, I'll start thinking about experimenting with yeast cultures! :P

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:48 pm

Well yes, I gather it is really quite an art keeping yeast in good health... :(

I think I'll probably be sticking to packets... but it would be interesting to find some resources on keeping you yeast going between brews... I gather you can just fridge it for a while... :unsure:

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:03 pm

I think I have a good link for reusing yeast......

http://www.wyeastlab.com/cbrew/cbyewash.htm

http://www.wyeastlab.com/cbrew/cbmethod.htm

Hmm, I'm sure I had a more user-friendly link for harvesting and keeping, but I can't find it at the moment. :blink: