My Wyeast arrived today!

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:57 am

QUOTE (Reg @ Aug 16 2005, 10:41 PM)
Jim that seems really odd! I've never had a problem with yeast multiplying from a good starter... :huh:
I have a feeling that allowing the starter to settle before pouring off the liquid was a mistake, because that yeast settles very quickly. I think I got very little actual yeast into the brew the first time.

I transferred the rest of the demijon into 6 small bottles last night, which I then put in the fridge, but I made sure that the whole thing was well stirred up before I poured it out. I just hope I haven't got too much trub in there.

For future starters I'm going to use a 2l plastic bottle and get about 1.5l of malt extract going from the stored yeast 48hrs before the main brew.

Jaytee
Tippler

Post by Jaytee » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:26 pm

QUOTE It was well away when I looked at it this morning, but I'm slightly concerned that bugs may have got in while it was dormant. I'm going to drastically increase my pitching rate for future batches.

Jim, I can't beleive you'd leave the front door open and let the bugs in !

Sounds like all going well now, what was the recipe (or is it one that'll make your fortune ?)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:38 am

I've posted the recipe is the 'Recipe' section.

I kegged this on Friday and it seemed OK, though the primary fermentation seemed to have only just finished, as there was still quite a bit of yeast in suspension and the gravity was around 12.

Next news in about 2 weeks!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:51 pm

I've just had a sly taste, way before I should have :rolleyes: .

Amazingly, after just a few days in the barrel, this stuff is crystal clear already; unheard of with any dried yeast I've used. And the flavour is very promising indeed. Just a slight hint of the yeast that hasn't quite dropped out yet, but obviously will by the time the beer's matured.

Cue music...

"This could be the start of something..." etc :P

full malty

Post by full malty » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:34 am

QUOTE (jim @ Aug 30 2005, 06:51 PM)I've just had a sly taste, way before I should have  :rolleyes: .

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a little green beer... that fresh taste.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:23 pm

QUOTE (full malty @ Aug 31 2005, 12:34 AM) QUOTE (jim @ Aug 30 2005, 06:51 PM)I've just had a sly taste, way before I should have  :rolleyes: .

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a little green beer... that fresh taste.
Heh, I gave a wineglassful to my independent taster (aka my brother in law) last night and he was very impressed.

I'm making up a new starter from one of the bottles in the fridge tonight, for a brew on Sunday.