Yeast from brews.

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Yeast from brews.

Post by Reg » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:34 am

Okay, I'm planning to start another batch of cider next week from my stored yeast once I've racked the first lot.

My plan is to restart the saved yeast from the fridge in a sterilised bottle with about half a pint of apple juice and a little sugar and give it a day to get going before casting it into the cleaned out demijohn.

My thought is however, that I now have a batch of Champagne yeast trained to fermenting apple juice sat at the bottom of my current batch. How can I clean and store this so it has a good chance of restarting for a third batch? :blink: :unsure:

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:42 am

Use the currently active yeast for batch #2 and save the fridge yeast for the following batch if it will keep ?

Reg

Post by Reg » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:57 am

Well that's certainly the easiest plan as long as the saved starter will keep, although I'm quite keen to test the saved starter to see how it revives after a week... ;)

Reg

Post by Reg » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:07 am

There is an article on beer yeasts http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C14/C14L ... rewer.html, but it doesn't really deal with bottom fermenters. :huh:

There is a slightly better article on agar storage http://brewery.org/brewery/library/SterileDW1096.html.

Reg

Post by Reg » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:39 am

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Dec 11 2005, 11:24 PM) Here's another article, again it doesnt deal with bottom fermenters but I reckon that instead of skimming the yeast head, taking a skim off the trub will do just as well.

I have never stored it but I have used it to make a starter incase of a stuck ferment. I racked to the secondary and noticed it was crystal clear so I did this as a precaution, when I notice zero action in the airlock after a few days, I added the starter...problem solved, no infection either.
Mmmm... I'm gonna need a very long spoon... :o

Reg

Post by Reg » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:54 am

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Dec 11 2005, 11:46 PM) Cant you just wait until you rack it off or am I missing something? :unsure:
Well I'm in a demijohn and even when racked if I want to skim the top of the yeast of a bottom fermentor, I'm gonna need to do it with a spoon. :huh:

Reg

Post by Reg » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:06 am

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Dec 11 2005, 11:58 PM) clink...ahhh the penny drops :bonk
:D

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:31 am

After racking pour some of the trub/yeast residue into a smaller container (sterilized or course..), leave for a while to settle out and then harvest the yeast ?