Chimay Yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
lufcaidan

Chimay Yeast

Post by lufcaidan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi Guys,
I've recently started culturing my own yeast using slants (thanks wolfy!) and would really like to get hold of a sample of Chimay yeast to use in an Old Peculier recipe (I heard this is the best yeast to use for this).

The thing is, I cant seem to buy a bottle of the damn stuff anywhere. I used to see it all the time in ASDA and Morrisons but now it seems to have fallen off the face of the earth!

So I was wondering if maybe anybody had a slant of this that they wouldn't mind posting to me? I would obviously pay postage and admin fees and I would be more than happy to send a sample from my collection in return, although this currently consists of just 3 slants of Thwaites yeast :oops: - By the way, does anybody know what whitelabs/wyeast strain Thwaites use (If any)?

Cheers
Aidan

Goulders
Under the Table

Re: Chimay Yeast

Post by Goulders » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:18 pm

Would it not be easier to ask brewlabs? Think about 4.50 delivered and guaranteed no mutations or infection

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:01 pm

I couldn't reculture Chimay yeast from the bottle (but they have to travel much further/for longer to get here, and are not likely fresh).

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:30 pm

I noticed the tesco near me always has a good stock of old peculiar... But a slant from brewlabs would probably be ideal!

Slightly O/T, do you have a recipe in mind for an Old peculiar brew? I love the stuff but havent got around to looking for a similar/clone recipe

lufcaidan

Post by lufcaidan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't really want to buy the yeast from brewlabs because I'm too tight, but it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet :(

The recipe I was planning on using is the one from Graham Wheeler's book, so I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to post it on here for copyright reasons??

richc

Post by richc » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:13 pm

This is the best place to find out what individual White Labs/Wyeast products are thought to be.

http://www.mrmalty.com/white-labs.php

http://www.mrmalty.com/wyeast.php

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:58 pm

You may already know this, but there are strong indications Safbrew T-58 dry yeast packets are the Chimay strain. I've used T-58 as well as a proven Chimay culture, and the results were so similar as to lead me to believe the rumors.

Even if I'm wrong about that, T-58 is an excellent choice for Belgian ales. Did you know it's the house yeast for the revered Struiss Pannepot? http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/ ... php?t=8801 Pretty funny, considering much of the online consensus when I first started using T-58 suggested it should really only be considered for late-stage bottle-fermenting. Ha!

lufcaidan

Post by lufcaidan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks Seymour.

I had read that T-58 was supposed to be similar but I couldn't really find anybody who confirmed that this was the case (Which you now have!). As it happens, I managed to finally get hold of a bottle of Chimay from Waitrose and have just inoculated a few slant with it but after reading Wolfy's post saying that he hasn't been able to re-culture the yeast I'm not holding out too much hope, as he seems to have quite a lot of experience in this.
If I don't have any luck with the Chimay yeast I think I will settle for T-58 on your recommendation as I don't really fancy spending £6 on a wyeast vial while I'm still getting used to re-culturing.

Cheers

bellebouche
Hollow Legs

Post by bellebouche » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Bought some chimay rouge this week, it had a 2016 expiry... so lots of life in the dregs I should think. I know that waitrose used to carry it when I was last in England... their turnover should be enough to get a bottle with a little life in it.