Finings etc

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
bandit

Post by bandit » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:17 pm

I have used the Aux finnings in the FV and left for 3 days. I have then added H&G Isinglass into the secondary and left that for three days. The TTL still looks a little cloudy. It is stored in the dining room. How long should it take to clear? Will it be too cold in the garage in the secondary or should i put it into the keg and then chill it in the garage? Any advise would help as I cant wait to sample my first TTL

bandit

Post by bandit » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:01 pm

Upon further inspection, I think haze is the wrong terminology. I have floating clumps about 1mm in diameter. I tried the protein haze check and thats fine. I think I will add the priming sugar tonight and keg it. Will the keg be OK in the garage for a few weeks? Can frost damage the beer?

niall

Post by niall » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:25 pm

I decided to fine my beer last night, planning on leaving it for a day and then kegging. I probably shouldn't have done this after quite a few beers :oops:

I poured off a pint of beer, following Jim's excellent instructions and heated it up to about 60c, and popped in a sachet of gelatine. So far so good. Off I go the fridge and get myself a beer....

When I turned arounf the beer was bubbling up so I whipped it off the heat and took the temperature. 90 something. hmmmmm well it wasn't quite boiling point and as I was relaxed, not worried and enjoying a homebrew I chucked it in the brewing bucket, stirred it in and figured it would be fine. I was greeted today by this:

The whole mix seems to be sitting in it's sticky state at the top.

Maybe it had reached boiling after all :shock: I should also mention that the brewing bucket was in the shed so the temperature of the beer would have been quite cool, should the beer have been at a warmer temperature or is it just that I overheated the beer/gelatine mixture?

Oh, yes, ahem.... what do I do now?

niall

Post by niall » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:21 pm

:oops:

That's what I thought, I just wasn't sure if the beer was 'tainted'. Do you think I should bring the fermenter in and raise to room temperature before adding the mix or is it OK to add it to the cold beer?

niall

Post by niall » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:21 am

hmmmm. I skimmed the 'film' off the beer last night and made up a fresh mix(one sachet of gelatine heated with a pint of the beer at about 60c for 5 minutes, stirred all the while and it dissolved). I poured this back into the beer and stirred gently and this morning it appeared to have formed another film over the beer - am I expecting results too soon or should this have dropped through the beer by now? I expected the top of the beer in the bucket to look clearer.

niall

Post by niall » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:04 pm

Cheers DaaB,

I must write an article on how NOT to use gelatine :lol: .

I didn't allow it to cool before chucking it in so maybe that's had an effect too. I'll check it out this evening before deciding what action to take :roll:

DRB

Post by DRB » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:56 pm

A picture of my ale bottled yesterday,with finnings from my local brewery added,( in the fermenting bucket and bottling bucket) looking nice and bright :) ,hope it carbonates tidy.

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:26 pm

Looking good DRB 8)

Your making me thirsty :D

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:48 am

Hello all Happy New Year.
I have 2 brews fermenting at the moment when fermented i normally cold condition for a couple of weeks in my secondary.But i am almost out of beer and want to speed things up a bit.So am planning adding some Gelatin to the fermenter then keg strait from the fermenter.Probably one for jim hear as i have temperature control what would be the best temperature to keep the beer when finning. Cheers

DRB

Post by DRB » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:43 pm

I,ve put the aux finnings in the primary fermentation bin a couple of days ago, can I also put the second stage finnings in the same bin to minimise work and chance of infection, or must I rack to a secondary.

DRB

Post by DRB » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:12 pm

Ta.