Finings etc

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:57 pm

but surely if you fined in the secondary there would be no yeast left in suspension when you bottled to create any CO2/fizz and your beer would be flat?
I fine in secondary and then bottle. It does take a little longer to carbonate in the bottle, but not much longer 8)

tribs

Post by tribs » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:25 am

Finings tend to create a more fluffy sediment which is not ideal for bottling. It still leaves enough yeast in suspension for natural carbonation in the bottle if you fine in secondary.

DRB

Post by DRB » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:45 pm

What about fining in the secondary,and then bottleing straight after instead of waiting for it to clear and then bottleing,wouldn't that work.

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:50 pm

EB, I believe you are right about the different type of yeast added in some bottle conditioned beers, not being the actual yeast used for primary fermentation

Vossy, that's what I thought it would take a lot longer to carbonate, but obviously you would get let sediment in the bottle

Tribs, I agree fully with that, I have had quite a few 'fluffy' deposits in the bottom, I have never kegged a brew yet and I'm getting quite sick of bottling, the novelty has definately worn off. I might try your suggestion next time.

I would have thought if you were to fine in the secondary then bottle immediatley you would get all the rubbish from the bottom of the secondary vessel, defeating the object of secondary in the first place, I usually rack it off from the secondary (leaving behind the muck) into a bottling bucket fitted with a bottling stick, add my primer (usually light spraymalt) carefully dissolve it then bottle.

ok, I'll try fining in the secondary, and also learnt something, cheers

DRB

Post by DRB » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:59 pm

From what I have read on here ,a lot of people leave in primary fermenter for 11 days and then keg it adding finings the same time,I would have thought that adding the finings to the secondary and bottleing straight away is the same sort of thing.

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:20 pm

I see what you mean DRB, but the I thought the idea of secondary before bottling is to drop more yeast out of suspension and to mature the beer quicker in volume before it's bottled, you wouldn't be able to add the finings or your primer (unless you prime each bottle, messy job) to the secondary without disturbing the dead yeast at the bottom, so tranferring to another bucket, adding yuor finings and primer, then bottling gets round this, its just what I have found easier, others may do it differently

well done on your first ag BTW, doing mine nest week so read your unfolding story with interest

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:33 pm

didn't know I could do that, but then after all, I am here to learn....

what about adding the primer though?

tribs

Post by tribs » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:08 am

If you are bottling, you need to let the finings drop clear before you bottle otherwise you'll just end up with the fluffy fined sediment in your bottles that kicks up real easy when you pour.

I rarely use finings and I've only done it the once with bottling (Never again). If you hide the bottles away for a good while they tend to drop perfectly clear anyway.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:48 pm

Only just caught up with this one. When I bottled beer I tried to clear the yeast completely in secondary using gelatine bacause I had been told cloudy beer in a bottle won't keep, but before adding it I took a small sample and stored in the fridge. When clear I racked the bulk into another container and Krausen with the yeast laden beer stored in the fridge, I always primed with sugar in the bottle but DaaB's method seems much better.

I believe top fermenting yeast do not have very good keeping qualities, (ok for the short time the beer is in a cask but bottled beer may be in there muchlonger) and don't form a firm bed, a possible reason some commercial bottled beers have a different priming yeast. A friend of mine who only ever bottled beer was fed up with his yeast lifting when he opened a bottle got round it this way: He made a small starter with lager yeast and used that as a krausen wort, he said the bottom fermenting yeast formed a much firmer bed and solved his problem.

This was a while ago and thinking may have changed now.

Kev.

Post by Kev. » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:51 pm

tribs wrote:I rarely use finings and I've only done it the once with bottling (Never again). If you hide the bottles away for a good while they tend to drop perfectly clear anyway.
I'm the same as I don't fine any of my beers. To be perfectly honest I don't really see the need as they all drop bright given time.

If you're finding your beer is still cloudy when you're wanting to drink it, it simply means you are drinking quicker than you're brewing, simple solution...brew more!!

Well, it's my excuse anyway! :D

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:11 am

Aux/Issinglass is cracking stuff DaaB :wink:

I found it much better than Brucleer.

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:33 pm

Hello all i am planning making more pale colour beers next year. Have occasionally had trouble in the past with very pale beers being hazy and taking a long time to clear.I have had great success in the past using Hop & Grapes Alginex followed by Isinglass.I am thinking about buying the Murphy's Alginex the next time as it's very much more concentrated 0.5 - 1.25ml per 100Litre of beer. 1 Litre should last years was quoted £4 per Litre forgot to ask what the shelf life is though. Cheers

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:40 pm

mysterio wrote:I just tried out the Condessa stuff the other day on a brew I have sitting in the secondary. It was very quick and the beer was bright in a couple of days. Only problem is it's about £4 for only two doses. The active ingredient is silicic acid - I wonder if this works on chill haze. Any chemists know if this is +ve or -ve charged?
I kegged my beer that I fined with this stuff and it's alarmingly bright, looks like it has been filtered. Good stuff, pity about the price. I'll be experimenting with aux finings and fresh isinglass next.

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:26 pm

Yes Daab i think it's the same stuff didn't see it on hop & grape site anymore also they probably still sell it if you ask for it though.The Brupaks stuff has been watered down quit a bit i think don't think it is as concentrated as the Murphy's stuff .Cheers

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:40 pm

The best finings I've used is Brewpaks isinglass paste. Fairly convenient, works great, no need to bother with their auxiliary finings.

Only drawback is that once mixed, it can only be stored for a month, so brew more, or mix less!