Saison query

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Saison query

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:04 pm

This being my first time using Saison, I just wonder if this is a normal stage to be at after 9 days in the FV. I pitched in last Saturday (8th) and having reading up that it can take a while to ferment out I didn't expect it to go quickly. I haven't experienced this amount of krausen to still be present when using other yeast. I always use dry yeast as I don't have the space or the patience to use wet, so got this one from Malt Miller's own brand.

I didn't use any temperature control this time as I figured the ambient temp was warm enough. SG was 1050 and current is 10.5 @ 19oC. It tastes lovely so just wondering how much longer to leave it before transferring to a conditioning barrel and whether I should scrape off the head before doing so.

Cheers
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

lancsSteve

Re: Saison query

Post by lancsSteve » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Looks healthy and active to me - no crud in ned of scraping off really.

Which yeast and what temps you at?

Rob's dry saison ferments out super fast. the wlp saison yeasts can crap out easily - geenrally need the temp ramping up HIGH if they stall - and i mean high as in 25-28c or more!

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:14 pm

I'm currently doing a Saison using yeast originally harvested from Saison Dupont.
In fact yeast now 3rd generation from bottle yeast, as I've been using yeast cake from previous brews.

Current brew has gone from 1050 to ~1007 in 9 days. Starting at 22C and raised now to 28C

Its much quicker than previous version, but I think that's due to a higher pitching rate and faster increase in temp.
This yeast is not that happy <23C

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:50 pm

If it's a dry saison yeast, I'm assuming it's re-pack Belle Saison. At over 22C BS will rip through a beer in 3 days. However, I recently used it at 17-19C and it took a good 10-12 days to finish. Never stalled, never crapped out, but did take its' sweet time. Left a lovely dry but restrained finish.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Its whatever Rob at the Malt Miller repacks, damn good yeast and not worth paying the extra couple of quid for the branded one. So it looks just like a temperature thing then with the slow ferment. Had a look when I got home and the Krausen has dropped right away and can see beer now. Think the humidity today gave it a kick. Conditioning barrel and dry hopping tomorrow, can't wait to try this one. :D

Thanks for your input guys.

Cheers
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC