WLP001 vs WLP007?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Paddy Bubbles
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

WLP001 vs WLP007?

Post by Paddy Bubbles » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:21 pm

I've got an ale recipe that I really like and I've always used US-05/WLP001 in it, but this time I'm going to ferment it with WLP007, the dry English ale yeast.

Looking at the stats, the WLP007 can have less attenuation, so I'm thinking of reducing the crystal malt in the recipe as I want to retain the same level of sweetness and body.

Anyone recommend this? Should I change my mash temperature too?

Cheers.

leedsbrew

Re: WLP001 vs WLP007?

Post by leedsbrew » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:59 pm

It will still eat through the sugars so i wouldn't worry too much about it! I find that 001 / 05 over attenuate unless your using a metric shit tonne of crystal et al. I think US brewers tend to go heavy on the crystal malts as US domestic 2 row is not as flavourful as say a british MO or GP, and some would argue slightly over modified (if you believe what you hear/read on tweb). Combine that with a very attenuative yeast and you have to bump up the unfermentables and mash temp.

007 will IMHO lift your beer as you'll get that certain something that can be missing with the neutral yeasts! Iirc it's the strain that Stone recommend for trying to clone their beers.

I'd say if you really want to see what difference the new yeast makes, only make one change (yeast) and than you can make an accurate assessment of the difference!

Cheers

LB

Paddy Bubbles

Post by Paddy Bubbles » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks man, really useful info.

I think I'll do exactly that and leave the recipe unchanged.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:00 pm

I agree. It's a perfectly fine substitute with a little more English personality which is a good thing in any ale, in my opinion. It may take a little extra conditioning time (then again, maybe not…) but will probably drop clearer too. Report back with your own findings.

Paddy Bubbles

Post by Paddy Bubbles » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:12 pm

Cheers Seymour, will do.