Mixing yeast slants

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
molehill

Mixing yeast slants

Post by molehill » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Has anyone considered mixing yeast slants or is this too risky?

I made some Brewlabs Sussex 1 slants and some WLP002 slants recently and wondering what would happen if I mixed the two slants together :?:

wilfh
Piss Artist

Re: Mixing yeast slants

Post by wilfh » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:51 am

I'm sure it would work but you wouldn't be able to tell easily which strain was dominant when it is stepped up
Wilf

Belter

Post by Belter » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:19 am

Would It become dominant that quickly? Some people (I think Seymor) have slanted Adnams dual strain yeast and are using it in the knowledge that 'eventually' it will drift to one strain being more dominant. I think someone said Adnams use the same culture for many generations. Obviously it's a different story with slanting and Adnams probably either top or bottom crop and direct pitch to the next batch so in a much smaller environment with less available sugars it may happen sooner?

molehill

Post by molehill » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:18 pm

The reason I am asking the question is that the Brewlabs Sussex 1 is supposed to originate from the Harvey's strain. But my efforts to date using this yeast has resulted in a yeast that does not stick to the bottom of the bottle. The other strain I am using .... WLP002 looks like it may do a better job, but I won't know for sure until it has conditioned for a few weeks yet. My thoughts were that combined, I may get better results, then again I may not :!:

I intend in following Orlando's advice by using a sheet of gelatine when I transfer it to the bottling bucket and see whether that makes any difference. #-o

How's that 3 lt flask work out for you Belter :?:

Belter

Post by Belter » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:37 pm

It's awesome thanks! I used it for boiling wort for slants on Tuesday and it was excellent. No boil over due to increased volume. Fits perfectly in the pressure canner due to it being wide and short. It's easy to clean also as you can get your hand in there.

Thanks again!

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:28 pm

molehill wrote:Has anyone considered mixing yeast slants or is this too risky?

I made some Brewlabs Sussex 1 slants and some WLP002 slants recently and wondering what would happen if I mixed the two slants together :?:
It can't be that risky as White labs and Wyeast both sell mixed yeast products.
I'm just here for the beer.

molehill

Post by molehill » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:45 pm

wilfh wrote:I'm sure it would work but you wouldn't be able to tell easily which strain was dominant when it is stepped up
Wilf
I have read that both these strains are recommended as close to the one used by Harvey's and was thinking I may get something closer to the original by combining them.

I am also wondering if I did a 30ml starter of the WLP002 24 hours before doing a 30ml starter of the Sussex1 yeast, the WLP002 would dominate and ensure it drops out ok, but that I may get some of the qualities of the Sussex1 flavour :?:

Frankinstien of brewing :lol:

gregorach
Under the Table

Post by gregorach » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:50 pm

If you want to do mixed strains, your best option is probably to slant them separately, and only mix them once you've grown a reasonable amount of each - that way, you'll minimise the likelihood of strain drift. If you put them both on the same slant, or mix them very early during propagation, there's a greater chance that you'll end up with significantly more of one strain than the other, simply because small errors are magnified by growth.
Cheers

Dunc

molehill

Post by molehill » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:14 pm

gregorach wrote:If you want to do mixed strains, your best option is probably to slant them separately, and only mix them once you've grown a reasonable amount of each - that way, you'll minimise the likelihood of strain drift. If you put them both on the same slant, or mix them very early during propagation, there's a greater chance that you'll end up with significantly more of one strain than the other, simply because small errors are magnified by growth.
To avoid confusion..... Each were made separately, then allowed to grow in each slant until suitable size then stored in fridge.

gregorach
Under the Table

Post by gregorach » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:23 pm

To further avoid confusion: I mean you should grow separate starters. You need a 1L mixed strain starter, grow a 0.5L starter of each strain.
Cheers

Dunc

molehill

Post by molehill » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:46 pm

gregorach wrote:To further avoid confusion: I mean you should grow separate starters. You need a 1L mixed strain starter, grow a 0.5L starter of each strain.
Gotcha..... You comment makes sense and I may go this route the next time I do a brew. =D>

Thanks Dunc.