coopers strain

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

coopers strain

Post by timbo41 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:56 am

I know to you afficionados a dry yeast question may seem ignorant, but have just started the infamous Ditch's Stout, and the sg has dropped like a stone in two days
Never seen a yeast so quick, expecting attenuating in the 80% region at least. Is there any info on this beast. And, although buying a kit to get yeast isn't onerous, can it be bought seperately anywhere( UK)?
Just like trying new ideas!

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Re: coopers strain

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:52 pm

I've not used it personally, but its seems the liquid from is WLP009 which is available if you can't find the dried version. I presume they are the same.
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Australian ale yeast.....seems so obvious really! Cheers CPR!
Just like trying new ideas!

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:27 am

It's also one of the easier yeasts to culture from the bottle. The strain generally works very well but can be very fruity if fermented at higher temperatures.

Coopers themselves provide information on how to capture and culture the yeast on the homebrewing section of their website.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Do we know that the dry yeast packets from Coopers kits is actually the same yeast as the historic Coopers Brewery in Australia?

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:24 pm

I'm trying to get a starter of this going from a bottle of pale ale that was thick with yeast on the bottom. I really enjoyed the beer and I think it would work well in some of my pales. It seemed a bit 'Burtonish' to me...a touch of sulphur, which I don't mind in certain beers.

wally
Steady Drinker

Post by wally » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:52 am

[quote="seymour"]Do we know that the dry yeast packets from Coopers kits is actually the same yeast as the historic Coopers Brewery in Australia?[/quote]

The yeast supplied generally with the Coopers ale kits, is MauriBrew 514.

If you are after the yeast used at the brewery, you can reculture from a bottle of Coopers Pale or Sparkling Ale. Alternatively you can use the White Labs 009.

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:55 pm

wally wrote: The yeast supplied generally with the Coopers ale kits, is MauriBrew 514.
I believe that if you do some investigation you will find out that it isn't :-k
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

wally
Steady Drinker

Post by wally » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:22 pm

6470zzy wrote:
wally wrote:The yeast supplied generally with the Coopers ale kits, is MauriBrew 514.
I believe that if you do some investigation you will find out that it isn't :-k
What investigation would you like me to do?

I have a book in front of me published by the Coopers Brewery, Jolly Good Ale and Old, The History of Coopers Brewery 1862 - 1987, ISBN 0 9586067 0 6, which states on page 143,

"The dried yeast for home brew kits is now supplied by Mauri Bros of Melbourne"

Perhaps, if you have some further information you would be willing to share it.

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:29 pm

wally wrote: "The dried yeast for home brew kits is now supplied by Mauri Bros of Melbourne"

I am of the opinion that Coopers Brewing Manager, Jon Meneses PhD. developed the yeast :|
Last edited by 6470zzy on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oscar Wilde

seymour

Post by seymour » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:37 pm

6470zzy wrote:
wally wrote: "The dried yeast for home brew kits is now supplied by Mauri Bros of Melbourne"
I am of the opinion that Coopers Brewing Manager, Jon Meneses PhD. developed the yeast
I think perhaps you guys are still talking about two different things, and as such, are both right. 6470zzy, you must be talking about the Coopers brewery yeast, which can still be cultured from bottle dregs, etc. Wally was answering a different question, about the dry packets shipped with the extract beer kits, which the brewery has stated is a different yeast, supplied by Mauri.

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:44 pm

No matter, I have both the dry and the liquid in the fridge and I like them both =D>
Oscar Wilde

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:51 pm

personal experience shows little resemblence between 514 and the kit yeast, but that could be due to distribution.. ? the 514 seems to take a while to finish, even with high pitching rates, while the kit yeast seems to go like a rocket..
dazzled, doused in gin..

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:17 pm

jaroporter wrote:personal experience shows little resemblence between 514 and the kit yeast, but that could be due to distribution.. ? the 514 seems to take a while to finish, even with high pitching rates, while the kit yeast seems to go like a rocket..
Well......that does shed a different light on the matter. Could it be that Mauri does the manufacture for both the 514 and the Coopers sachets and perhaps they are after all not the same yeast :shock:
Oscar Wilde

seymour

Post by seymour » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:25 pm

Exactly what I've been thinking. A further possible explanation: Mauri is a commercial yeast lab providing diverse products under their own brand names and sub-contracting to other companies. Wally's book doesn't specifically say Mauri pairs yeast #514 with Coopers extract. Perhaps they use a different strain. Maybe it's just a local Australian supplier of the ubiquitous Whitbread-B strain. Maybe just maybe it's even a freeze-dried adaptation of the Coopers brewery active yeast. We don't know from that text alone (but we do know the Mauri/Coopers dry yeast is different from the active Coopers brewery yeast found in bottles.)

For instance, I love using Mauri Weiss yeast, more so than Mauri 514, and they are extremely different from each other, but "both are Mauri ale yeast" is still a true statement.