First time using Wyeast liquid yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Dave.T
Steady Drinker

First time using Wyeast liquid yeast

Post by Dave.T » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:45 pm

Hello all,

I have been all- grain brewing for some time but have only just progressed to liquid yeast. I have watched several video clips on yeast washing, where the yeast was washed and then the yeast layer poured into 4 x 1Ib jar's ( from a 5 gal brew ). I have had a dry run at doing this from my last 25L brew to see how easy the process was, as in the video's i ended up with about an inch of yeast sediment in each jar.
My question is how much of this do i use to make a starter for my next brew, can anyone help.

Dave

YeastWhisperer

Re: First time using Wyeast liquid yeast

Post by YeastWhisperer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:27 pm

My advice is to skip rinsing yeast with water. It is a completely unnecessary step. All you need to do is to crop and repitch.

Dave.T
Steady Drinker

Post by Dave.T » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:07 am

Hello Yeast Whisperer,
Thanks for your reply, when you crop the yeast do you store in the fridge or do you time your kegging / bottling so that you can pitch straight into a fresh batch.
How much of the cropped yeast would you pitch into a 25L batch.
Regards,
Dave

simmyb
Piss Artist

Post by simmyb » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Dave.T wrote:Hello Yeast Whisperer,
Thanks for your reply, when you crop the yeast do you store in the fridge or do you time your kegging / bottling so that you can pitch straight into a fresh batch.
How much of the cropped yeast would you pitch into a 25L batch.
Regards,
Dave

BUMP. I would like to know this too....
Primary : AG138 Amarillo Pale Ale
Conditioning : AG137 Mosaic Pale Ale
Drinking: AG131 London Bitter, AG132 Yorkshire Bitter, AG133 Guinnish, AG134 Witbier, AG135 Challenger Pale Ale, AG136 Kveik IPA,
Planning: Perle faux lager

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:06 pm

The problem with not washing the yeast, is that you increase the risk of autolysis and the off flavours that are associated with it.
I also ferment on the cold break and I prefer to get rid of all that trub.

Use the Mr. Malty calculator to work out the amount to repitch - http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html