WLP007

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: WLP007

Post by seymour » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Dennis, I can sympathize. I've heard several guys reminisce about those White Shield bottle-cultures. It was a dual-strain, right? I'm pretty sure what you got was the primary brewery strain plus a high-attenuating/highly flocculent bottling strain. So, yeah, the resulting beer would definitely be more complex. Do you ever culture yeast from Fullers bottles or anything else these days?

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:25 pm

seymour wrote:Dennis, I can sympathize. I've heard several guys reminisce about those White Shield bottle-cultures. It was a dual-strain, right? I'm pretty sure what you got was the primary brewery strain plus a high-attenuating/highly flocculent bottling strain. So, yeah, the resulting beer would definitely be more complex. Do you ever culture yeast from Fullers bottles or anything else these days?
Cultured from many over the years. Started with Guinness but that was very hit and miss as it was bottled by different breweries so varied. I've tried Fullers, Youngs, Hop back and St Austell to name a few. All have made decent beer but none as good as the old white shield. They now sell WS again but it's not the primary strain any more.

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:02 am

mmm just brewed 50l of courage directors from the gw book and fermented half with so4 and half with wlp005 and was very supprised at the difference between the yeasts, so4 left a very sweet fruity beer and may i add no off taste at all it is very drinkable, 005 was very smoth and much drier and a much better beer for my taste, but s04 is fine i agree with seymore i have never had an off flavour from it .

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:35 pm

dazer23866 wrote:mmm just brewed 50l of courage directors from the gw book and fermented half with so4 and half with wlp005 and was very supprised at the difference between the yeasts, so4 left a very sweet fruity beer and may i add no off taste at all it is very drinkable, 005 was very smoth and much drier and a much better beer for my taste, but s04 is fine i agree with seymore i have never had an off flavour from it .
I never had any off flavours with the yeast I just found the beers very bland. The reason I brew in the first place is to make beers better than most of the crap beer you buy.

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:17 pm

I never had any off flavours with the yeast I just found the beers very bland. The reason I brew in the first place is to make beers better than most of the crap beer you buy.
i would agree there is something not quite there much preferd the liquid yeast :)