RE: Nottingham yeast and Hydrogen Sulphide

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
TC2642
Even further under the Table

RE: Nottingham yeast and Hydrogen Sulphide

Post by TC2642 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi all, first time posting on this board!

Made a beer on Saturday, and it has been happily fermenting away after I added a packet of Danstar Nottingham, a few days ago I noticed that there was a sulphury aroma coming off it (H2S), I did add about 10% cane sugar to bump up the gravity (S.G.1042) but I wonder if I inadvertently dilluted the nitrogen content of the wort and thus cause the H2S. Has anyone had similar problems or is it just me?

Cheers

TC2642

Post by TC2642 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:31 pm

DaaB wrote:It's actually not a problem and will (more than likely) go away in time.
Sulpherous smells are more common to lager yeasts but do occur with ale yeasts. Just continue as normal you should be fine.
Cheers DaaB, I am planning on putting it into secondary for a month or so before transferring it to my Barrel, I have had the same thing with a lager yeast but never a ale yeast.

TC2642

Post by TC2642 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:27 pm

DaaB wrote:If you are using a barrel there's little point in using a secondary fermenter (the barrel is the secondary). I would leave it in the primary for around 10 days (or at least a day or two after getting a stable gravity).
Shall do, I usually add straight to barrel, so a little longer in primary it is!

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:29 pm

With gravity that of 1.042 you don’t have to do a secondary I generally give it two week and then transfer it