Recent problems with US-05?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
SBMongoose

Recent problems with US-05?

Post by SBMongoose » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:32 pm

Has anyone else had any issues with US-05 over the last 6 months? We've brewed several beers using it over the last couple of years where we've wanted the hops to shine more than malt. But over the last six months(ish) whenever we've done a brew using it it's been incredibly hazy, and had a slightly.... Hoegaarden... twang to it. The beers haven't been unpleasant, far from it, but just not cleared. And there's been a slightly spicy undertone, but that might just be in my head as it looks like a wit. I really can't remember if the sachets haave been bought in one batch or in more than one, and even then I wouldn't have kept records of batch numbers. Is there any possibility we've just bought from a batch where there might have been a mix up at fermentis? Or could it be that it's been brewing during warmer months? But I can't remember this issue last year when we brewed with it.
Anyone else experience anything simmilar over the last year with it?

millmaster

Re: Recent problems with US-05?

Post by millmaster » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:10 pm

Just bottled a pale ale fermented with US-05. It had had 10 days in the FV, but seemed considerably more cloudy than I'd've expected. No issues with the FG, sample tasted OK, I will leave it in the bottles for a month and see how it looks then

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:11 am

Send an e mail to the suppliers and see if they can shed any light on this.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Deeko99

Post by Deeko99 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:49 pm

I've had a few issues with my last two batches using US-05. The first batch I put down to summer brewing but my latest was done in my new fermenting fridge at a steady 18 degrees for 10 days before a cold crash. I can't quite put my finger on it but theres a strange aftertaste (not diacetyl)- it's not unpleasant but it just doesn't seem right. I want the hops and malt to shine through but all i can concentrate on is this bloody weird aftertaste!

I'm going to try a similar recipe when time allows with a different type of yeast to see if it's the US-05 or my technique.

Maynewater

Post by Maynewater » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:58 am

This is interesting!

A couple of months ago I made an American Pale Ale with US05 and it just won't clear. To be honest I can't taste anything strange but it's very hoppy with Citra and that would mask a lot.

I've never had any problems with US05 in the past, always attenuated really well and dropped out clear as a bell. I have another packet stored for a future brew but I think I'll bin it now.

Has anyone contacted Fermentis?

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:21 am

I used to use it but never found it brilliant at dropping out. I thought that I was just being piccy, then found a few commercial brewers saying the same..
Ive tried BRY 97 with mixed results too. As far as dried yeast is concerned I've gone back to S04. For wet yeast, I have binned loads as they do not work in the way I like...I am sticking to my "Sheffield Strain" and Thwaites. (Thwaites bottled conditioned beers contain the primary strain)...
I like that Thwaites ferments relatively cleanly..just leaves a hint of pineapple, it top crops well and drops like a brick when its finished...Lots of award winning micros use it so cannot be a bad un.

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:22 am

I used to use it but never found it brilliant at dropping out. I thought that I was just being piccy, then found a few commercial brewers saying the same..
Ive tried BRY 97 with mixed results too. As far as dried yeast is concerned I've gone back to S04. For wet yeast, I have binned loads as they do not work in the way I like...I am sticking to my "Sheffield Strain" and Thwaites. (Thwaites bottled conditioned beers contain the primary strain)...
I like that Thwaites ferments relatively cleanly..just leaves a hint of pineapple, it top crops well and drops like a brick when its finished...Lots of award winning micros use it so cannot be a bad un.

Maynewater

Post by Maynewater » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:16 pm

Just as an update I have emailed Fermentis a few days ago with some batch numbers but i haven't had a reply. Maybe it will need a few emails from different homebrewers to get a response?

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:00 pm

This is going to sound sarcastic, but I don't mean it to be:

Why are using boring ol' American Ale yeast anyway? This could be just the excuse you need to rediscover the superiority of all your English ale yeasts.

Maynewater

Post by Maynewater » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:47 pm

Good point! Usually I use either Fullers or Brakspear harvested strains I keep but sometimes I make an American Pale or American IPA and just want the hops to shine. Nottingham maybe next time, unless Fermentis or someone can convince me otherwise?

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:30 am

used to love it,
but now don't have the patience waiting for it to clear even with crash super low temps
also hate the whispy fluff in the bottle bottom after it finally clears
adds a new dimension to pour carefully :?
-- no more US05 for me

Maynewater

Post by Maynewater » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:50 pm

It's interesting that the top 2 posts on the yeast part of the forum at the moment are concerns over Fermentis yeasts. I always used to think of them as pretty bullet proof. Do we think that they are slipping? PS no reply from them to my email.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:38 pm

seymour wrote:This is going to sound sarcastic, but I don't mean it to be:

Why are using boring ol' American Ale yeast anyway? This could be just the excuse you need to rediscover the superiority of all your English ale yeasts.
Just done a WLP007 (drier version of Whitbread B?) Mosaic and the taste was nice and rounded at bottling. Clumped and dropped superbly, so excited to taste in another week or two. I feel I really should try 001 at some point, however good 007 turns out to be.

Not had any problems with US-05 though.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:57 am

I've noticed that the last few time I've used it, it's taken much longer to ferment out than it used to. Used to be done in 5 days or so, now it's taking 10+. This is in a temp controlled fridge set to 18°C ±1°C.
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:15 pm

If I ferment the wlp007 cool.....18 degrees, there is little difference flavour wise to the US05. None that I can noticeably detect at any rate.
Once you get towards 20 degrees with the 007, it then that the hints of fruit start to come through.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think Stone use 007 in their IPA's.