Yeast Starter Info Needed & You tube link

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Fastline
Hollow Legs

Yeast Starter Info Needed & You tube link

Post by Fastline » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Ok just swatting up a little

About to do my first brew this weekend, just a kit not sure which one yet, i've got a few packs of Nottingham and i'm keen to give my first beer a fighting chance

So i thought the Yeast starter will make the process a little more complicated but i don't mind the extra effort if its going to produce a better beer or reduce risk of problems

I found a good link on youtube i thought be of some interest to newbies like myself who have never done a yeast starter

I was advised in the forum not to use a dried yeast in a starter i'm not sure why or if that is correct information so anyone who does use a starter could clarify that point would be good

but anyway heres a Youtube link i found helpful

MAKING A YEAST STARTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEQBPeHfXD0

brewnaboinne

Re: Yeast Starter Info Needed & You tube link

Post by brewnaboinne » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:23 pm

I always make a yeast starter, usually with dried yeast - no problem. It'll get your fermentation off to a flying start.

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Nooooooooooo. You don't need a yeast starter for dried yeast. Whilst it will work it is not as effective as just rehydrating with water. Look up rehydrating dried yeast.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:32 am

the US whiteLabs site has some great how to vids on starters, though there is one HUGE Glarring Blooper in one as they refer to the initial boil foam up as 'the hot break' Whoops ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/WhiteLabsInc
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

simmyb
Piss Artist

Post by simmyb » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:57 pm

Goulders wrote:Nooooooooooo. You don't need a yeast starter for dried yeast. Whilst it will work it is not as effective as just rehydrating with water. Look up rehydrating dried yeast.

+1. Definitely re hydrate, but no starter.
Primary : AG138 Amarillo Pale Ale
Conditioning : AG137 Mosaic Pale Ale
Drinking: AG131 London Bitter, AG132 Yorkshire Bitter, AG133 Guinnish, AG134 Witbier, AG135 Challenger Pale Ale, AG136 Kveik IPA,
Planning: Perle faux lager

Steveicky
Steady Drinker

Post by Steveicky » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:07 am

Using s04 I have always just sprinkled on top of the wort. Leave for 15 to rehydrate floating on surface. Then a good stirring. Never fails and starts vigorously in a few hours.

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:03 pm

that will work, but its so easy to rehydrate, and most people will find they get better results.

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:27 am

Padalac wrote:that will work, but its so easy to rehydrate, and most people will find they get better results.
Define "better" :?
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

Jimmy321

Post by Jimmy321 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:48 pm

Beer O'Clock wrote:
Padalac wrote:that will work, but its so easy to rehydrate, and most people will find they get better results.
Define "better" :?
If you add dry yeast without re-hydrating you will kill up to 50% of the yeast cells so you will be under pitching.

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:00 am

There have been several threads on here and elsewhere that haven't been conclusive as to whether there is any discernable difference. Good or bad. I have tried sprinkling and also rehydrating. The only difference has been the lag before fermentation begins.

Accepted practice ? Maybe.
Better ? A bit of a leap, me thinks.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:35 am

You just said there was a bit of a lag though. Less lag=better surely? As there is less chance for bacteria to grow and less stress on the yeast.

Most people here make fairly low abv beers, so I reckon that's why it makes little difference. Eg, If you are throwing in a full pack of notty into a bitter you'll be fine as that's more than enough yeast even if half the cells die in the wort and the fact that it is a beast of a yeast. Most dry yeasts are very forgiving too, which obviously helps

I always rehydrate for bigger beers but I have just chucked it in straight a number of times with more modest beers

here's a small study on viability
http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/01/dry-yeast-viability/

and this is decent too info too
https://koehlerbeer.wordpress.com/2008/ ... yton-cone/