Banana from windsor

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
barry44

Banana from windsor

Post by barry44 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:44 am

Hi,

First time using Windsor as I'm currently brewing Jims ESB and I've noticed a strong banana smell coming off it as it ferments.

It is in my fridge at 20° and it appears to have got down to final within a week with no apparent issues. Samples taste fine.

Anyone else experience this?

jceg316

Re: Banana from windsor

Post by jceg316 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:46 pm

Is the thermometer probe in the actual FV?

barry44

Post by barry44 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:17 pm

No, it's on the side of the fv underneath a piece of sponge.

I've since bottled the beer after transferring to secondary to dry hop.

Everything settled down and appears ok from the taste I had earlier.

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:05 pm

I'm using windsor. No banana fragrance, but such rubbish attenuation/flocculation i wont bothet again. I have added sugar and a new yeast to one brew such is the windsors lazy attitude.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:12 am

barry44 wrote:Hi,

First time using Windsor as I'm currently brewing Jims ESB and I've noticed a strong banana smell coming off it as it ferments.

It is in my fridge at 20° and it appears to have got down to final within a week with no apparent issues. Samples taste fine.

Anyone else experience this?
You get it with a few yeasts - esters from yeast growth - but in most cases it's only an aroma and is cleared out in the final beer.

Windsor is a funny yeast - goes off like a rocket and gives up before the job is properly done, but does provide some fantastic esters. If you don't like where it's going to give up then it's best to pitch a pack of US-05 or similar attenuative yeast when Windsor has taken off.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:06 pm

yeast still in suspension and not at FG.... ....do ya think it might still be fermenting.. ?? :roll:
dazzled, doused in gin..

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:47 pm

jaroporter wrote:yeast still in suspension and not at FG.... ....do ya think it might still be fermenting.. ?? :roll:
What's your:

Original gravity?
Expected final gravity?
Current actual gravity?

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:35 pm

sorry it was a tongue in cheek remark based on the fact that the two main complaints about windsor - low flocculation and low attenuation - would seem to suggest that there's a chance the yeast ain't done yet! winsdor with both attenuate well and clear perfectly if given the chance. it can be slow, though, there's no denying that..
dazzled, doused in gin..

jceg316

Post by jceg316 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:18 pm

Sorry about the late reply. I see it's sorted itself out now, as I always say time is a great healer of homebrew. Anyway, it would be interesting to know what the temp inside the FV is, as it's probably a few degrees hotter which canead to banana flavours from certain yeasts.