dry yeast starter

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
far9410
Even further under the Table

dry yeast starter

Post by far9410 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Hi, would it be a good idea to grow up a large starter using dried yeast, in order to split it for other brews, if so how long would it keep in the fridge?
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

vacant

Re: dry yeast starter

Post by vacant » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:47 pm

Nottingham data sheet says making a starter using wort leads to a loss of viability.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

far9410

Post by far9410 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi, yes I'd heard that too, but I was thinking of a big starter to split, can't see what the difference is from pitching onto yeast slurry?
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:29 am

far9410 wrote:Hi, yes I'd heard that too, but I was thinking of a big starter to split, can't see what the difference is from pitching onto yeast slurry?
Instead of a large starter make a small batch and harvest the yeast?
I'm just here for the beer.

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:10 am

I can't see the difference between making a large starter and splitting/storing vs harvesting and reusing yeast at the end of a batch. yes the yeast have undergone a ferment... but you have what 4,5 10x as many cells?

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:47 am

vacant wrote:Nottingham data sheet says making a starter using wort leads to a loss of viability.
i see two sides to this:
1. They are incentivised to say that. Buying more yeast from them has less chance of contamination, but also boosts their revenue, so they will extol the virtues of buying more yeast.

2. In their defence, a dry pack of yeast supposedly should contain up to 200 billion cells, enough for 23 litres of 1.050 wort and probably then some. And that yeast has been packaged with all the reserves it needs to get on with the job quickly.
I would think that pitching 200 billion cells into a 1 litre starter isn't going to grow much yeast at all - it'll be saturated. Looking at my preferred yeast starter calculator, with a 2 litre starter you might be able to double it up to 400 billion cells... and at that point is prefer to simply buy another pack of yeast.

So a small starter is probably too small to grow the volume of yeast you want. If you wanted to grow a really big starter - say 20 litres, you could get up to a trillion cells, or 5 packs of yeast, but it will almost certainly have cost you more in DME than the cost of extra packs of yeast.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

far9410

Post by far9410 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:52 pm

Great replies guys thanks, might have to rethink this!
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:43 pm

I was thinking of using 1/2 a pack of Muntons Gold in a 2L starter, then chuck that and the rest of the packet in a 10 gallon brew. Otherwise, I'd probably need three of those 6g packets, plus by making a starter, I'll have an active, proven crop of yeast. Is this reasonable?

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:13 pm

I'd just stick the whole pack into the starter.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:16 pm

Jocky wrote:I'd just stick the whole pack into the starter.
what about using 1/3rd of the pack , with starter to bump up the cell count, and using it for 3 brews...

i.e. £1 a go for yeast not £3 . seems a bit tight though!

you want to do it "just because"? i.e. for interests sake?

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:12 am

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that we home brewers generally over pitch in our English ales, that we ought to stress our yeast a bit to get an English ale flavour...but I don't think so. Probably been listening to too much brewing network whilst half pisht and not concentrating.

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:44 pm

i.e. £1 a go for yeast not £3 . seems a bit tight though!
Isn't there a bit of tightarse in all home brewers? :mrgreen:
you want to do it "just because"? i.e. for interests sake?
Isn't that part of why we brew anyway?