Glycerol freeze experience?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
nigelsch

Glycerol freeze experience?

Post by nigelsch » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:37 pm

I'm killing my yeast!

Ive tried twice now, and both have shown no activity when creating a starter. Id like to
master the technique as its a useful way to keep my yeast for a few months. This is what
ive done:

1) my mix is: 50% compacted yeast, 25% water & 25% glycerol
2) mix well & freeze.
3) My freezer is only set at -7oc & isn't a defrost one.
4) Bring to room temp, good swirl & throw the whole lot into a 1L starter (1036).
5) stirplate for 3 days
6) no luck still 1036.

The only thing I can think, is that my freezer temp isn't cold enough; the yeast mixture isn't actually
freezing. I'm only keeping the sample for a month, but would have thought -7oc after a month is better
than fridge temp.

Any pointers?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Glycerol freeze experience?

Post by Pinto » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:55 pm

Was reading an interesting article on long term, room temperature storage of yeast in distilled water - surely much easier..

http://hbd.org/brewery/library/SterileDW1096.html
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:15 pm

I overbuild starters, pour the excess in a sanitised jam jar, and keep them in the fridge. Never had any issues reviving them, sometimes needs a couple of steps, but not had any fail.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:07 pm

@nigelsch "a few months" Agar agar slants in the fridge are fine for that timescale. I only bother reslanting mine every four months. As for freezing, I don't think I ever found a good explanation as to why beer yeast is so fussy compared to bread yeast. I have frozen 500g of fresh bread yeast divided into clingfilm "baggies" simply mixed with flour and produced good bread each time. I followed these instructions (pdf).

@pinto I tried distilled water storage once and it was a total disaster, infected yeast. I don't now what I did wrong. I was only playing, if I had a really extensive yeast bank and only got around to using some yeasts every few years I'd put more effort into mastering the technique.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

nigelsch

Post by nigelsch » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:09 pm

Cheers guys, all useful information. The reason I'm trying to do this is to store enough yeast cells
so that I don't have to grow cells for a ferment. This really being my pilsner yeast, as growing 700b cells
is a real faff & I only do a pilsner once every 4 months; I don't want to grow 700b cells & then have to do the
same next time. So this is the one I'm shooting for; my ale yeasts simply get recycled 3-4 times & then thrown;
no freezing required.

The distilled water approach, seems to be aimed at storing only a small number of cells and not for
mass storage. It appears freezing/glycerol is the right approach for what I'm trying to achieve & many
people do it with success.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:19 pm

nigelsch wrote:I'm killing my yeast!

Ive tried twice now, and both have shown no activity when creating a starter. Id like to
master the technique as its a useful way to keep my yeast for a few months. This is what
ive done:

1) my mix is: 50% compacted yeast, 25% water & 25% glycerol
2) mix well & freeze.
3) My freezer is only set at -7oc & isn't a defrost one.
4) Bring to room temp, good swirl & throw the whole lot into a 1L starter (1036).
5) stirplate for 3 days
6) no luck still 1036.

The only thing I can think, is that my freezer temp isn't cold enough; the yeast mixture isn't actually
freezing. I'm only keeping the sample for a month, but would have thought -7oc after a month is better
than fridge temp.

Any pointers?
Apart from the -7c & using a large 1 litre starter I cannot see anything wrong , I use normal temps -18c and maybe a starter of 100 to 250ml to start with. Experiments upto 11months have proved OK but the last two frozen for 16months were both duds.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

nigelsch

Post by nigelsch » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:35 pm

ok cheers, will try once more with a cooler temp.