Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Post Reply
BenB

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by BenB » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:20 pm

Please do give some feedback pronto- got a ESB clone on the books and might be tempted to ditch the liquid yeast for powdered in this case....

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by sladeywadey » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:54 pm

brewing a batch on Sunday and will use this yeast then. I do wonder how well this yeast will floc and reach final gravity compared to WLP002/1968.

User avatar
Hanglow
Under the Table
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by Hanglow » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Someone on HBT got into contact with their uk rep and got this as a reply

"Note that it does not utilise maltotriose so FG will be higher
than most yeasts.

I'd mash in low and/or collect OG a bit higher. Does not drop like a stone like WLP002. "
Planned: Green Hop ale
Fermenting: Nothing
Bottled: Home grown Halletau Mittelfruh golden ale, centennial golden ale, Brown Kolsch, Strong Burton with Brett C

User avatar
Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate
Posts: 4188
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:52 pm
Location: Pitsea Essex

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by Dennis King » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:34 pm

Hanglow wrote:Someone on HBT got into contact with their uk rep and got this as a reply

"Note that it does not utilise maltotriose so FG will be higher
than most yeasts.

I'd mash in low and/or collect OG a bit higher. Does not drop like a stone like WLP002. "
One of the main reasons I like WLP002 is how well it clears.

Clibit
Under the Table
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:46 pm
Location: Old Trafford

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by Clibit » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:36 pm

It sounds like the standard Muntons yeast. :)

User avatar
Hanglow
Under the Table
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by Hanglow » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:44 pm

Would be funny if they just hoyed that or Windsor into a different packet to see if anyone would notice :)
Planned: Green Hop ale
Fermenting: Nothing
Bottled: Home grown Halletau Mittelfruh golden ale, centennial golden ale, Brown Kolsch, Strong Burton with Brett C

User avatar
simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010
Posts: 1943
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:35 am
Location: Wivenhoe

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by simple one » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:47 pm

Hanglow wrote:Would be funny if they just hoyed that or Windsor into a different packet to see if anyone would notice :)
Thats exactly what I was thinking.

I had high hopes for this until I read it is slow to sediment....

(I will change my tune if it gets good reviews)

User avatar
soupdragon
Under the Table
Posts: 1540
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by soupdragon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:52 pm

Clibit wrote:It sounds like the standard Muntons yeast. :)
I've not kept the email but the standard muntons yeast is a Belgian strain. I'd read somewhere that it was a close replacement for fullers so asked them the question.....

Cheers. Tom

Correction, they said it's Belgian style

rpt
Hollow Legs
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 4:35 pm
Location: Ilkley, West Yorkshire

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by rpt » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:36 pm

Or is like the Muntons Gold?

Clibit
Under the Table
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:46 pm
Location: Old Trafford

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by Clibit » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:23 pm

soupdragon wrote:
Clibit wrote:It sounds like the standard Muntons yeast. :)
I've not kept the email but the standard muntons yeast is a Belgian strain. I'd read somewhere that it was a close replacement for fullers so asked them the question.....

Cheers. Tom

Correction, they said it's Belgian style
The standard Munton's doesn't ferment maltotriose. Apparently. Sounds similar. It doesn't strike me as Belgian in style tbh.

User avatar
ArmChair
Under the Table
Posts: 1242
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by ArmChair » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:12 pm

I'm going to get 500g on my next Murphys Order and give it a whirl in the brewery
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

User avatar
soupdragon
Under the Table
Posts: 1540
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by soupdragon » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:11 am

Clibit wrote:
soupdragon wrote:
Clibit wrote:It sounds like the standard Muntons yeast. :)
I've not kept the email but the standard muntons yeast is a Belgian strain. I'd read somewhere that it was a close replacement for fullers so asked them the question.....

Cheers. Tom

Correction, they said it's Belgian style
The standard Munton's doesn't ferment maltotriose. Apparently. Sounds similar. It doesn't strike me as Belgian in style tbh.
Found a copy in my out box

Quote from the email, from Graham Sutton@muntons .com.........

"Hello Tom, many thanks for your enquiry. The Standard ale yeast is packed from a Belgium Style Ale yeast which can also be used as a general purpose beer yeast. Regards Graham"

Not used it yet as I've had some free samples of the esb yeast from Danstar

Cheers. Tom

User avatar
Hanglow
Under the Table
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by Hanglow » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:00 pm

I've ordered two packets from WHS, if they arrive this weekend I'm going to try them either in a Burton - could try the old Fullers Burton recipe or a stout
Planned: Green Hop ale
Fermenting: Nothing
Bottled: Home grown Halletau Mittelfruh golden ale, centennial golden ale, Brown Kolsch, Strong Burton with Brett C

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by sladeywadey » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:14 pm

slightly later than planned but today I've brewed my london pride clone and pitched the rehydrated esb yeast at 4 this afternoon. Let's see how we get on.

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast

Post by Kohoutec » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:00 pm

I'm doing a London Porter clone with this next week for Christmas so will be watching this with interest. Will update here when I have anything to report as well

Post Reply