Hothead yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Re: Hothead yeast

Post by Kingfisher4 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:47 pm

Rather than start a new thread, this is the closest I could find to a discussion on Kveik yeast. I appreciate it is over two years old, but this stuff is mentioned as though it is the holy grail on several American and Norwegian based references.

Some limited supplies are available in the UK, are its purported qualities of incredibly fast fermentation, reliable attenuation, minimal undesirable esters or phenols, and tolerance of massive temperature range as well as ease of continuation of culture really true in practice??

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:20 pm

It perhaps depends on what you consider undesirable; it isn't short of esters and whether you like them or not in a given beer is quite a personal thing. It is a bit of a dinosaur IMO, and splits opinion - some really like it, others aren't so keen. However i've only drunk it, not brewed with it yet, so can't comment beyond that; i'm sure others can.
Kev

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Thanks Kev, I probably didn’t phrase that carefully enough. Really just want to gather practical opinion from the trusted users of this site!

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:27 pm

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:35 am

I have an ale in the fermenter with Voss Kveik yeast at 32/33C.

I grew a small starter from some very hop laden slurry that a local fellow HB'er donated.

Pitched around 9pm last night. Going like a train this morning.

If the orangey notes I smelt in the starter are anything to go by, it'll have a very Seville orange marmalade tinge to it.

If the reports I've read about this yeast are reflected in my brew, it'll be in the keg by the weekend!

Watch this space...
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:19 am

As a test I brewed, fermented at 38c and took a sample to a brew club meeting 7 days later. It wasn’t the best beer I’ve ever made but was surprisingly drinkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

Madbrewer
Tippler

Post by Madbrewer » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Coffeeuk wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:15 pm
I'll be brewing this weekend. After reading all the comments above I'm planning to ferment at around 29. I'm really looking forward to using this yeast.

I'm also planning saving some slurry and making a no boil / raw brown ale the next brew.
How did this turn out? Am thinking about using Kveik to get around my general 'don't brew in summer' rule (no temp control).