Crossmyloof - too good to be true?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
PhilB
Piss Artist

Re: Crossmyloof - too good to be true?

Post by PhilB » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi Steve

On a discussion about their yeast range over on the BrewUK forum someone pointed out how there's a better correlation between the yeast they sell and those offered by Bulldog Brews/Hambleton Bard (link) :? .. and there do seem to be like for like yeasts in those two ranges.

And on the subject of them being interested in Chinese vacuum packaging suppliers, we know (because they openly admit that) that they're splitting and re-selling larger bales of hops, so that may be for that ... but I suppose we may never know whether they're doing similar for yeast or not, as you suggest it may be that watching the forums for brewers suffering "fermentation issues" is the best we can do to re-assure ourselves ... I've only used their dried Kolsch Yeast (once) because I've not seen that readily available ... and, to be fair, all seemed to go fine with my ferment ... but now that I know that there's the Bulldog European Ale Yeast (that the Crossmyloof Kolsch yeast may well be the same as :? ) I may make more of an effort to source some of that, if that was what I was after, in future, TBH :?

Cheers, PhilB

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Fermentis K97 is available in 500g packs.

I suspect if CML are rebadging surplus hops/yeast they are doing it with the loose ends of 5kg hop bales and 500g yeast packs - that narrows down the possible options for identifying each strain

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:32 pm

Fair point regarding the packaging Phil.

I was going off the descriptions from their July17 price list which copy verbatim from Mangrove Jacks literature for all but the Kolsch, but MG don't do a Kolsch yeast. I've not heard of many dried Kolsch yeasts (K97 and Colonia F) and do wonder who in the UK would be producing one.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3529598 ... nt-July-17

https://www.grainfather.com/media/wysiw ... Bk_WEB.pdf

BELGIAN - M41 Belgian Ale
CALIFORNAIN STRAIN - M54 California Lager.
KRISTALLWEIZEN STRAIN - M20 Bavarian Wheat
REAL ALE - M15 Empire Ale
US PALE ALE -M44 US West Coast

Stesmi2
Tippler

Post by Stesmi2 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:52 pm

G’day fellas! And hi to you guys who already know us and to those who don’t. There’s some good stuff going on in this thread, some interesting reading and thanks for taking the time out to give us here at Crossmyloof some feedback. We’d just like to clarify some points though and maybe let you know where we are as a business, if that’s OK with you lads and lassies? A bit about us to start. We’ve always sold/exchanged hops with other breweries in our area. The hops come in 5kg foils which is too much for most breweries, so it made sense. Then bit by bit home brewers’ got on board, so last year Crossmyloof was born – a trading name to sell hops. Then out of the blue, a yeast manufacturer asked our parent company (as well as a Canadian, South African and Russian brewery called Köenigsbier) to trial some yeast. The surprise is that it’s been so successful (particularly the wine, cider and mead yeasts), that we’re in the process of splitting up the company between the brewing (not called Crossmyloof) and supplies business. So these are early days and it's all a bit up in the air at the moment :S One thing’s for sure, the yeast's specific to us and the breweries I’ve mentioned above (We'll talk to the supplier about the literature). Dunno if that helps or not? Oh and we’ve just been given a new “Lille Saison” yeast ;) Cheers, Steven – The Crossmyloof Brewery
Last edited by Stesmi2 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi Steven, when is the lager yeast coming? :)

Stesmi2
Tippler

Post by Stesmi2 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:35 pm

alexlark wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:34 pm
Hi Steven, when is the lager yeast coming? :)
Funnily enough we were talking about this earlier and since we were talking about it we thought we'd sample it. Tbh, it's not what we were expecting and leads to an extremely malty beer not as smooth and crisp as we'd like #-o But we've done several different variations with it, so there's still time. Keep an eye on fb for updates fella! ;)

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:11 pm

Umm, I got an offer of da free packet of yeast because of my post (see above), should I take the offer,? they say it's yeast packaged in a lab for them, and they stick labels on.
I guess I should take the offer and more than likly eat some humble pie 😳
Cheers
To Busy To Add,

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Wonkydonkey wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:11 pm
Umm, I got an offer of da free packet of yeast because of my post (see above), should I take the offer,? they say it's yeast packaged in a lab for them, and they stick labels on.
Cheers
Well you did say you would
Let us know how you get on with it.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:16 pm

Cheers Steven, thanks for the update.

Stesmi2
Tippler

Post by Stesmi2 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:10 am

Wonkydonkey wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:11 pm
Cheers
No humble pie necessary Wonky! Just pm us your details and we'll sort it :)

Mashman

Post by Mashman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 am

I have used the Ale Yeast several times now, very pleased with them.

M
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:30 am

I've recently switched to Cross My loof yeast and really enjoy it the real ale is a bit looser than Notts but I can live .with that.
Recently used There American pale and it finished fermenting in under 36 hours so really impressed.
Also been given some lager hops so may.see what lager yeasts cross my loof do as it's cheap enough to use 2 packets

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:49 am

Stesmi2 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:52 pm
we’re in the process of splitting up the company between the brewing (not called Crossmyloof) and supplies business. So these are early days and it's all a bit up in the air at the moment :S
Hi Stephen, it may be worth reviewing the webpage link on your facebook's contacts/about panel. I don't know if it is broken or just for mobile devices, but at least on proper laptops/computers it just delivers an empty ebay page; for months I kept visiting and thought you never had any stock listed.
Kev

Stesmi2
Tippler

Post by Stesmi2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:22 pm

Kev888 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:49 am
Stesmi2 wrote:
we’re in the process of splitting up the company between the brewing (not called Crossmyloof) and supplies business. So these are early days and it's all a bit up in the air at the moment :S
Hi Stephen, it may be worth reviewing the webpage link on your facebook's contacts/about panel. I don't know if it is broken or just for mobile devices, but at least on proper laptops/computers it just delivers an empty ebay page; for months I kept visiting and thought you never had any stock listed.
Hi Kev. It's a broken link Kev. We're building a web site at the moment (albeit slowly) and then the links will be back up and running - hopefully :)

HairyJamie
Steady Drinker

Post by HairyJamie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Stesmi2 wrote:
Kev888 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:49 am
Stesmi2 wrote:
Hi Kev. It's a broken link Kev. We're building a web site at the moment (albeit slowly) and then the links will be back up and running - hopefully :)
Hi,

You don't appear to have any eBay listings at the moment either?

I'm not on Facebook, any way to get an order to you?

Loving the Kolsch yeast by the way Image

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk