Proper job bottle condition yeast.

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Proper job bottle condition yeast.

Post by vacant » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:38 pm

Manngold wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:29 pm
Thanks, really excited to try this out.
Have you had a look at Shaken, not stirred yet? I've used a demijohn a few times, holding a bung in while shaking..
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:59 pm

vacant wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:38 pm
Manngold wrote:
Have you had a look at Shaken, not stirred yet? I've used a demijohn a few times, holding a bung in while shaking..
Thanks Vacant. Decent read. Looks like I ant drink the proper job until Monday....shame!

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:30 am

Manngold wrote:
Hi. I am planning a pale brew for Tuesday and want to use proper job.

Is it ok to use lme from Holland and Barret to make my starter? My local Wilko does not stock dme. I don’t have a conical, is this an issue? What can I use instead? Is a Demi Jon to big, or can I use a mason style jar? How much water and hoe much lme should I use? From reading this, is two bottles enough?

I have used DJs in the past, but seeing that I need a source of low-alkalinity water to make up my acid sanitiser anyway(Star San type), I just buy a 5l bottle of Tesco Ashbeck for £2, use the water to make up the sanitiser, and immediately use the sterile empty bottle for the starter. Cheap, dual purpose, lighter and safer to shake around, no bung required, and very hard to get that level of near-sterility in a DJ.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:23 pm

MTW wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:30 am
Manngold wrote:

Is it ok to use lme from Holland and Barret to make my starter? My local Wilko does not stock dme. I don’t have a conical, is this an issue? What can I use instead? Is a Demi Jon to big, or can I use a mason style jar? How much water and hoe much lme should I use? From reading this, is two bottles enough?

I have used DJs in the past, but seeing that I need a source of low-alkalinity water to make up my acid sanitiser anyway(Star San type), I just buy a 5l bottle of Tesco Ashbeck for £2, use the water to make up the sanitiser, and immediately use the sterile empty bottle for the starter. Cheap, dual purpose, lighter and safer to shake around, no bung required, and very hard to get that level of near-sterility in a DJ.
Thanks MTW. I actually have a 5l bottle coming tomorrow with my order. Where do you store your starsan after this? I normally just make up a litre or so when I need it. It seems to last forever anyway.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Manngold wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:23 pm
MTW wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:30 am
Manngold wrote:

Thanks MTW. I actually have a 5l bottle coming tomorrow with my order. Where do you store your starsan after this? I normally just make up a litre or so when I need it. It seems to last forever anyway.
I just use the sanitiser for preparation of the starter, then the brew day (the following day), and then dispose of it. It has usually discoloured a bit by the end of all that. The sanitiser moves between various pots and buckets over the course of that 18hrs or so, as required.

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Troutman47 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:39 pm

I’ve used the yeast from bottles of PJ several times, top cropped and reused and always worked great.

Does any one know the name of the yeast St. Austell use?

Cheers

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Troutman47 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:39 pm
I’ve used the yeast from bottles of PJ several times, top cropped and reused and always worked great.

Does any one know the name of the yeast St. Austell use?

Cheers
It is their own house strain, maintained in a lab (in Norfolk, I think they said on the tour) from which a fresh pitch is taken every few months. The original strain must have come from somewhere, but I think it is very much their own now.

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi,
Just used this yeast in an ESB I brewed today. I notice no-one seems to have mentioned quantities as requested by the OP. I am by no means an expert, but I believe you need to start off with a small amount of wort to culture the yeast up from the bottles. I used 10g of DME in 100ml of water, boiled for 10 mins, then cooled and added to one of the bottles with the dregs from both. Cover with foil or a loose cap and shake occasionally. A krausen will form and after two or three days this can be added to a bigger starter. I made up a litre of starter using 114g DME and added the cultured yeast to that. On to a stirplate for two days and ready to go, or use the "shaken not stirred method" if you prefer. (I've used both, not sure which is better).
I think H & B LME is probably okay to use for this. Another alternative would be to do a mini-mash with some pale malt and use the wort produced to make your starter. Boil it for 10-15 mins, cool and add the yeast.
Good luck with your brew.

Cheers,
Charliemartin
Altonrea Homebrew