Home made dry yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
spook100
Piss Artist

Home made dry yeast

Post by spook100 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Has anyone ever tried harvesting their yeast and drying it at home? I read somewhere about people drying their sourdough bread yeast on a tray in the sun. That wouldn't be sterile enough for beer making but am thinking something along the lines of a box with a heating element and some sort of sterile airflow. Provided the temperature is kept below 40c the yeast should survive (I think). Maybe add some silica gel at the air inlet to dry out the air and speed up the dehydration of the yeast. I know dry yeast is cheap but it's fun to try these things.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

McMullan

Re: Home made dry yeast

Post by McMullan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:54 pm

It's quite easy, if you enjoy 'wild brews'. Just leave them in an open bucket, to desiccate. Some like to spread spent slurry on baking paper. You could dry it out in the oven at 30ish*C, if the sun's not shining. Then toss the dry flakes into a vial of your choice. Wipe it out with your fingers first! And blow out any remaining dust. The cost of maintaining sterility, at the required scale, is going to suck all the 'fun' out of the idea :lol:

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:29 pm

I dont think its going to be a viable home gamer solution without a sterile room in which to dry and vacpac. but i would imagine the same sort of set up employed to dry fruit and make jerky would work?? And it could add a further dimension to a home brew if successful ;)

Have fun with it but dont expect too many followers ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Fil wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:29 pm
And it could add a further dimension to a home brew if successful ;)
Yes, I'm led to believe it's termed 'funk', by so-called 'millennials' and those otherwise associated with reinventing one of the most ancient beverages appreciated by humans. I'm eagerly waiting for 'craft wheels', formally known as 'shoes'. Horse shoes, no doubt. It's about looking back, beyond nostalgia. Ignoring knowledge and cultural development. I might remove the seat belts from my car tomorrow. I might even drop off the Bosch oven at the tip and cook on an open fire, in the garden.

According the the 'ternet ('turnip'?), I'm sorted already:

https://getoutside.ordnancesurvey.co.uk ... camp-fire/

:lol: