Liquid yeast viability.

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Paddington
Piss Artist

Liquid yeast viability.

Post by Paddington » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:25 pm

https://www.whitelabs.com/news/purepitch-shelf-life

I have a five month old White Labs Pure Pitch which I will be using in a Saison shortly. I've looked at various calculators which give me viability of 0 (Malt Miller), 1% (Brewer's Friend) and 50% (Beer Smith). I've then found the above link from White Labs which claims viability of over 79%. I'm tempted to go with Beersmith but I'd be interested to hear from the old hands...

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Liquid yeast viability.

Post by Fil » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:31 pm

as long as you step up to a reasonable starter volume ensuring that all sugars are exhasted after each step up before adding more volume/sugar you should build up a full population for pitching. once the final steps additions are exhausted you can simply keep the population dormant in the fridge.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:50 pm

Yes, the problem is that if I go with Brewer’s friend I have multiple steps starting at 200ml, if I go with Beersmith, I can probably do it in one step.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:26 am

Paddington wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:50 pm
Yes, the problem is that if I go with Brewer’s friend I have multiple steps starting at 200ml, if I go with Beersmith, I can probably do it in one step.
Two steps will do it 200 ml then 1000 ml . I am old enough to remember when 500ml was the recommended starter size :lol: but that was before the Americans took over the driving seat. Never had any problems probably because nobody had a microscope. I brew 50 litres and never have a starter bigger than 1200 ml although Whitelab say I should be using three of their purepitch sachets.(cost £21) But there again they are selling and I am buying. I am presently fermenting 50 litres with a WLP 037 that I bought in 2013 and have reused at least twenty times.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:46 am

Thanks, IPA. When I was first started brewing, I just followed recipes without any thought or knowledge of pitching the right amount of yeast and always had good results. As I have learnt a little bit more, I know that I must have been underpitching by some amount according to the calculators, so I am a touch sceptical about it all. I have a 5 litre brew happily fermenting from a few mls of yeast which is over a year old with no starter (I just wanted to clear some space so thought I’d do it as an experiment). What do you think about the viability issue? 1% or nearly 80% as claimed by White Labs?