Yeast Starter

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
mikew
Steady Drinker

Yeast Starter

Post by mikew » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:51 pm

I have a pack of white labs WLP002 English ale yeast purepitch pack, and am planning a 10 gallon brew at the weekend. I am trying to work out what size DME starter to make, but not having much joy. I would appreciate some advice on what calculators are about or what size starter would be wise. The pack was ordered from Malt miller and delivered yesterday so it's pretty well in date.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Aub
Tippler

Re: Yeast Starter

Post by Aub » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:21 am

A good starter calculator here..............https://www.brewersfriend.com/

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Yeast Starter

Post by Kev888 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:02 am

The Mr. Malty calculator is quite useful too, though not perfect. The traditional online version is free, though I believe the mobile version is charged.

Though none of these things should be used without understanding the principles; the requirements for the starter can be quite different according to your targets and circumstances so the calculators can give quite different results. You've mentioned the volume of wort, the age of the yeast, and in this case they should also be quite clean and healthy. Other aspects include the type of starter or aeration you want to use (as some can create more cells per ml than others), the gravity of the wort to be fermented and the pitching rate you want to go for.

As usual there are a range of differing opinions on such things, and its all just an estimation anyway, so not worth trying to be ultra-precise about. But getting things generally right for your situation will help.
Kev