Yeast Starter Temperature

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
MonsieurBadgerCheese
Steady Drinker

Yeast Starter Temperature

Post by MonsieurBadgerCheese » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:28 am

Good Evening,

Should a yeast starter (ideally) be made at the temperature at which the beer will be fermented?

Regards,

MBC :)

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Yeast Starter Temperature

Post by IPA » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:10 am

You can make the starter at a slightly higher temperature but cool it to the correct one before pitching. Guidance can be found on the Whitelab website.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:25 am

For dried yeast the manufacturers' recommendation is usually 30 - 35C to rehydrate (which always seems high to me) but for liquid yeast, as IPA said, slightly higher than the brew is fine.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:43 am

In general terms you need your wort plus or minus 3 degrees to avoid thermal shock, you can get significant kill rates from stress and can throw off undesirable flavour profiles created in those first critical 48 hours.
I have read about cold into warm wort being ok. I’m not convinced. You’ve spent 5 hours brewing, it’s another variable shouldn’t be too hard to minimise it.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:30 pm

You want to ‘train’ your yeast to work at the temperature you’ll be fermenting at. Following the recommended temperature range is your best best. I always like to ferment at the higher end of the range to get some esters adding to the flavour.

20-24C for most British beers should be fine.

MonsieurBadgerCheese
Steady Drinker

Post by MonsieurBadgerCheese » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Thank you very much for all of the replies and advice.

MBC.

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:46 pm

I always use a starter made with honey as my signature. I usually get the starter going 24 hours before pitching at around 25 -30 deg C and aim to pitch at 20-25 deg C. Its been a bit trickier of late with all the warm weather. The fermenters usually settle at something like 20-22 deg C.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:59 am

The optimal temperature for yeast (S. cerevisiae) growth is about 30ºC. It doesn’t ‘train’ yeast cells to deviate from their fermentation temperature ranges. That kind of selection takes considerably more time (years). I bet some have been happy with how quick their starters have finished during this heat wave. At lower (fermentation) temperatures, growth takes longer. 72h vs 24h, in some cases.