Yeast for small batch

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Yeast for small batch

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:41 am

Hi all, I’m thinking of getting a two gallon pressure barell and brewing some small batches of beer, rather than the usual 5 gallons. I like brewing but I don’t drink a huge amount these days.

I have been using liberty bell yeast and I thought I would continue. This comes in 10g packs. Would it be over pitching if I added the whole pack? I make bitters generally, and may have a go at a milk stout.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Yeast for small batch

Post by Robwalkeragain » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:13 am

Yeah a bit. Over pitching will reduce esters so can strip flavour out of the beer - half should do it, stick the other half in the freezer and it'll be fine for a few months.

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 am

I doubt you'd notice the taste difference between half a packet of yeast and a full one. I always use the full pack no matter my batch size. I've even pitched onto the yeast cake of a previous brew with no noticeable effect and that's a massive overpitch.

Of course the only way to know is to try it.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:21 pm

I’m sure on a BN podcast they were discussing that it’s very difficult to over pitch. But very easy to under pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:57 pm

If I use the whole pack for 10 litres can I just bung it all in without rehydrating? I know this will reduce the viability of the yeast, but presumably this would be less of an issue for 10 litres?

Realise this probably wishful thinking, but just curious what people think (apart from the fact that I am lazy :oops: )

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:06 pm

bitter_dave wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:57 pm
If I use the whole pack for 10 litres can I just bung it all in without rehydrating? I know this will reduce the viability of the yeast, but presumably this would be less of an issue for 10 litres?

Realise this probably wishful thinking, but just curious what people think (apart from the fact that I am lazy :oops: )
That's what I would do.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:10 pm

Yep Chuck it all in. The yeast manufacturers instructions say that you don't need to rehydrate unless you want to.

I've done both hydration and no rehydration and haven't noticed a difference although I'm unable to compare side by side.

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:51 pm

:D Thanks for the feedback folks :) I’m going to just chuck it in then!

It also occurred to me that as I have a 25 litre mash tun I could probably increase the grain a bit and do a no sparge brew - ie add all the water after the mash in one go and simply drain it. This could be a nice and speedy way of fitting in some brewing

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Oh yes, I've done no sparge in the past. I got around 43% brew house efficiency with no sparge and 70% with a sparge. You may differ but you'll need to account for this when you formulate a recipe

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:01 pm

gr_baker wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:55 pm
Oh yes, I've done no sparge in the past. I got around 43% brew house efficiency with no sparge and 70% with a sparge. You may differ but you'll need to account for this when you formulate a recipe
Cheers gr_baker Did you add all the water in the mash, or did you top it up afterwards? I’m assuming it had not consequence on the quality of the beer?

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:09 pm

I filled my mash tun to the brim so it was a very slack mash. That would give a certain amount of wort and I'd top up with water if needed to the pre boil volume.

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:22 pm

gr_baker wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:09 pm
I filled my mash tun to the brim so it was a very slack mash. That would give a certain amount of wort and I'd top up with water if needed to the pre boil volume.
Did you stir it before run-off or just open the tap?

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Opened the tap.

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:26 pm

Interesting, thanks

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 pm

That's the same process that I ended up doing for sparged brews too except that I'd then refill the mash tun and rest for 10 minutes. I tried stirring at this point but it made no difference other than introducing some cloudy elements so I decided that it was good enough