US05

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
HTH1975
Piss Artist

Re: US05

Post by HTH1975 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:51 pm

I’ve used finingsfrom the start of brewing - I find I even prefer beer that’s fined - seems ‘cleaner’. I’ve used adjunct with isinglass and now using brausol- both work great. The brausol gets rid of chill haze too, so it’s a no brainier for me. Only about 7-10ml per 25L batch

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:37 pm

Finings are an essential part of my beer making. I find beer with yeast visibly in suspension tastes sharp and lacing in subtly.

Brupaks fining adjunct at 50ml in a 25 litre batch is added after the beer has been dropped from the FV to the keg. A few minutes later 70ml of the Malt Miller's excellent Isinglass is added. It's easy enough to make up and does a wonderful job.

In 24-48 hours the yeast has dropped out of suspension and the beer is ready to drink.

Guy
Last edited by guypettigrew on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Brewbrite in the kettle and gelatin in the FV/ Keg works well for me

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:32 pm

TBH I'm not a huge fan of post-fermentation finings myself, but I'm not really against them if used for the right reasons. They can be very effective with stubborn yeast in particular, so are quite relevant to this thread.

But just to make the point: most beer styles and yeasts should 'also' clear well if just given a little time. If that isn't generally so, then it could indicate some fault in the brewing process that would benefit from being tracked down, rather than visually hidden by later measures.
Kev

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:31 am

Kev888 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:32 pm
TBH I'm not a huge fan of post-fermentation finings myself, but I'm not really against them if used for the right reasons. They can be very effective with stubborn yeast in particular, so are quite relevant to this thread.

But just to make the point: most beer styles and yeasts should 'also' clear well if just given a little time. If that isn't generally so, then it could indicate some fault in the brewing process that would benefit from being tracked down, rather than visually hidden by later measures.
And there's the important bit. How long is 'a little time'? For my brewing 24-48 hours is a little time! Probably very few beers would clear that fast if left to their own devices.

My usual timetable is about 5 days to ferment, 2-3 days cooling down, into the keg with finings and hopefully clear after 48 hours. About 10 days from grain to glass. It varies from brew to brew, naturally.

The beers are usually around 5%, so long maturation isn't neccessary. That's not to say they don't improve over the period while they are being drunk, but they are usually good as soon as they clear. At least, that's what my mates say when they (repeatedly) turn up to help me drink the stuff and take a couple of pints home with them!!

Guy

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:20 am

Yes, being in a hurry is a good reason reason for using finings before kegging/bottling etc. Most commercial casks sent out to pubs will be fined, I'm sure. US-05 tends to be slower to clear than many, and so perhaps has more time to gain from fining.

But some of the previous posts could be interpreted to mean that finings are actually 'necessary' for achieving decently clear beer. Which shouldn't generally be the case (unless its a particularly stubborn recipe or yeast, anyway). IMO they're best employed for convenience and time saving than to hide underlying deficiencies.
Kev

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Completely agree.

Before I started using finings every beer I made cleared perfectly. Sometimes, though, it took getting on for three weeks. No problem if you've got lots of stock and/or don't drink it fast. Not my situation!

Guy

ciderhead
Piss Artist

US05

Post by ciderhead » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:06 pm

Keg was at the back of the fridge and I’m happily chugging the last pint as it so easy to drink, damn forgot the pic it’s the last of the keg and I moved it so there’s a little bit of cloud that wasn’t there on the first one but you get the idea. Kegged 6th Aug. and in a 4 degree fridge.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:29 am

I guess that’s one of the few advantages we have over breweries. We don’t have to get it from the kettle to the tap in as little time as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

ciderhead
Piss Artist

US05

Post by ciderhead » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:46 am

Like everything in life if you fast track or force it it’s never as good.
Some of the fresh hop punch has fallen off but still a great beer. I’d say sweet spot was about 2-3 weeks in the keg so 4-5 weeks after I pitched.