Danstar Nottingham

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Danstar Nottingham

Post by Meatymc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Had no experience of this yeast until early August when, ready to pitch, having just had a nil result with scavenging a Proper Job, nowt else scavenged available and no other yeasts available locally, was more or less pushed into giving it a go.

Firstly, fermented out very quickly - down to 1008 from 1046 in just under 4 days on a Maris Otter/Cascade Smash, 2 days less than the exact same brew done 2 weeks previously using S-05. Great flocculation - barely moved when transferring to secondary for dry hopping.

But here's the query, not settling in the bottle (I only bottle). I know it's not that long since bottling but the difference is noticeable. And just to answer a couple of obvious points, I cold crashed but raised back to ferementing temp and bulk primed with only 40g.

I'm sat drinking a very pleasant bottle of the afore mentioned S-05 variation and no issues with the sediment.

Confused by the great floccuation in the fermenter but not in the bottles #-o

Silver_Is_Money
Piss Artist

Re: Danstar Nottingham

Post by Silver_Is_Money » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:13 am

Nottingham has always flocked out and compacted extremely well in bottles for me.
Developer of 'Mash Made Easy', a free and complete mash pH adjustment assistant spreadsheet

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:12 am

Nottingham is a great yeast in all respects minus taste for me. Are you copper fining, fining after, cold crashing?

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:56 am

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:12 am
Nottingham is a great yeast in all respects minus taste for me. Are you copper fining, fining after, cold crashing?
No finings. I'd given that a go on 3 or 4 brews using gelatin a couple of months back but decided I was more bothered about how it tasted than how it looked and it just added another step to the process.

Been reading that many aren't impressed with Nottingham in terms of taste (as you're said Rob) - will do a proper side-by-side in a few weeks time.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:01 pm

My guess is it simply wasn't done floccing enough or your hot and cold breaks were poor. Different yeasts will behave differently so it's not surprising that there's a difference, perhaps a simple case of leaving it on chill longer next time and making sure your boil is strong. Use protafloc too, a tub will last basically forever, it's cheap, vegan, and does a lot towards quality beer even when you don't consider the clarity aspect.
Flavour wise it's a catch all workhorse yeast, so a bit of a blunt instrument. Esters aren't desirable really and it can be sulferous but it does tend to work ok. Switched all of our beers over to us-05 about a year ago and haven't looked back.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:10 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:01 pm
Switched all of our beers over to us-05 about a year ago and haven't looked back.
How do you use US-05? Rehydration? New yeast every brew? And how much?

A microbrewery I once visited chucked loads of small (homebrew sized) packets in dry. Seemed to work well!

What stops you using liquid or slant yeasts?

Guy

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:12 pm

Definitely not my experience of Nottingham. It's a very good settler producing a firm sediment.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:17 am

I'd suggest that there's another reason for the cloudy bottles, other than the yeast.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Blackaddler wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:17 am
I'd suggest that there's another reason for the cloudy bottles, other than the yeast.
They aren't cloudy! As soon as you start to pour the whole of the dregs get into motion - you can barely get half out before the dregs are coming out as well. And it's not over carbed. Very little gas release as I've purposefully dropped carbing rate down to 40g per 5 gallon batch in my last few brews.

I've simply put this into storage and will leave well alone for a few weeks.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:37 pm

One of the other threads previously stated that Wilko Gervin English Ale Yeast is identical to Danster Nottingham, in different packaging.
Can anyone who has used both confirm this, as the Wilko version is half the price?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:37 pm
One of the other threads previously stated that Wilko Gervin English Ale Yeast is identical to Danster Nottingham, in different packaging.
Can anyone who has used both confirm this, as the Wilko version is half the price?
Yes, it's the same.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:30 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:10 pm
Robwalkeragain wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:01 pm
Switched all of our beers over to us-05 about a year ago and haven't looked back.
How do you use US-05? Rehydration? New yeast every brew? And how much?

A microbrewery I once visited chucked loads of small (homebrew sized) packets in dry. Seemed to work well!

What stops you using liquid or slant yeasts?

Guy
I suppose that's down to their economics, I use 400g for a 800L brew but I know breweries who use as little as 250g for that much, direct pitch. More than anything keeping wet yeasts hygienic would be an issue here, so for the fairly low price and great consistency from us-05 I just don't fiddle with it - trialling AY5 from Niche this week mind, which is commercial breweries only ATM. So yep, new pack every time, 0.5g/L direct pitch at 26c, wort down to 22 via cooler overnight

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:33 pm

Jim wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:21 pm
Yes, it's the same.
Well that's a bit bloody annoying! Could have bought Gervin but thought I was buying something better!!

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:15 pm

Meatymc wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:33 pm
Jim wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:21 pm
Yes, it's the same.
Well that's a bit bloody annoying! Could have bought Gervin but thought I was buying something better!!
Sorry, but hope it’s good news for future reference and savings!