St Austell Brewery Yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

St Austell Brewery Yeast

Post by Meatymc » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:29 pm

Did someone on here say they'd managed to blag some yeast whilst on the brewery tour? I'm down in that neck of the woods next week and thinking of doing the tour and hopefully sweet talking them into a little pre-birthday gift!

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Re: St Austell Brewery Yeast

Post by gr_baker » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:31 pm

Try emailing them beforehand. I've not asked for yeast but they've were really helpful when I missed a tour a while ago. I ended up visiting again and being treated like royalty. Lovely people and I'm sure they could help you.

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:47 pm

It's live in bottles of Proper Job, buy a couple or three, drink 90%, save the yeast, make a starter, you now have St Austell yeast.😎
aka Rhys

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:41 am

I recently bought several bottles whilst on holiday in Devon and there only seemed to be a tiny quantity of granular debris in the bottom, is this the active yeast harvestable for starters?

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:31 am

Kingfisher4 wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:41 am
I recently bought several bottles whilst on holiday in Devon and there only seemed to be a tiny quantity of granular debris in the bottom, is this the active yeast harvestable for starters?
Absolutely. Plenty of info in the yeast section on successful Proper Job starters. One of my regular yeasts.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:10 am

Heron1952 wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:47 pm
It's live in bottles of Proper Job, buy a couple or three, drink 90%, save the yeast, make a starter, you now have St Austell yeast.😎
I've been harvesting yeast from PJ for over a year now using IPA's method. Just thought it would be nice to get hold of a decent sized sample rather than the dregs from bottles. Recently found 2 bottles (which I 1st started with) don't produce sufficient without a lot of stepping up so don't know if something has changed - but if I get there, I'll ask.

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:08 am

What Ive found is that the dregs of 6 bottles consumed whilst watching footy, chomping curry and naan bread is just about viable to get it kicked off...Thats what I tell the wife anyway...Dont say that you can step up from only one bottle and ruin my pre brewday liver bashing. "Ahhm furrin tellin yer".

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:55 am

robbarwell wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:08 am
What Ive found is that the dregs of 6 bottles consumed whilst watching footy, chomping curry and naan bread is just about viable to get it kicked off...Thats what I tell the wife anyway...Dont say that you can step up from only one bottle and ruin my pre brewday liver bashing. "Ahhm furrin tellin yer".
Wouldn't dream of it. But depends on how many steps :lol:
aka Rhys

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:45 pm

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:55 am
robbarwell wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:08 am
Wouldn't dream of it. But depends on how many steps :lol:
one great big un

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:38 am

Revisted this yeast. 3 bottle dregs into 1 litre of DME at 1040. Started bubbling within 24 hours. Renewed 1 litre of 1040 DME by pouring off spent wort and off it goes.

This yeast is a hungry beast

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:32 am

I too have used this yeast for a recent brew.

My yeast calculator told me I only needed a 0.6L starter for my 23L batch :shock:

I only used the dregs from a single bottle in about 30ml wort and then stepped up to 0.6L in one go. The starter really did seem to grow nicely, perhaps due to my stir-plate?

Fermentation got going fairly quickly and I bottled on Saturday, so we shall see how the beer has turned out in due course, which will influence whether I use this yeast again!

Cheers!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:04 am

Cobnut wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:32 am
I too have used this yeast for a recent brew.

My yeast calculator told me I only needed a 0.6L starter for my 23L batch :shock:

I only used the dregs from a single bottle in about 30ml wort and then stepped up to 0.6L in one go. The starter really did seem to grow nicely, perhaps due to my stir-plate?

Fermentation got going fairly quickly and I bottled on Saturday, so we shall see how the beer has turned out in due course, which will influence whether I use this yeast again!

Cheers!
Just used it for a single hopped brew today. It sticks to the bottom of a bottle like a wotsit so must be very floculant

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Haven't used a 1st generation scavenge of PJ for quite a while now. The last time I checked (I think mentioned earlier in the thread) there didn't seem much of a sediment in the bottles but if you're getting success - even from 1 bottle, time for me to try again.

I think the most 'generations' I did from 1 starter sample was 6 brews - all of which went like a rocket.

Anyone tried scavenging from Big Job - can't seem to get it up here?

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Meatymc wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:06 pm
Haven't used a 1st generation scavenge of PJ for quite a while now. The last time I checked (I think mentioned earlier in the thread) there didn't seem much of a sediment in the bottles but if you're getting success - even from 1 bottle, time for me to try again.

I think the most 'generations' I did from 1 starter sample was 6 brews - all of which went like a rocket.

Anyone tried scavenging from Big Job - can't seem to get it up here?
I would think that "Big Job" is probably a bit too strong to scavenge. I think it best to reuse the PJ yeast once then replenish, that way you have to force down a good few bottles of PJ.
Next time I brew, Ill grab a bit (4 litres) of the boiled wort and shove it in the freezer for yeast cultivation

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:53 am

Ive been using this yeast now for 6 months and getting to know it well. Its very similar to a Yorkshire yeast and likes hoppy pale beers. Trying it with a best bitter next so will se how that gets on