Double pitch - 2 strains!

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Lanky94
Tippler

Double pitch - 2 strains!

Post by Lanky94 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:42 am

Just brewed 10 gallons of ESB.

5 gallons destined for ringwood, the other 1469 Yorkshire.

Not paying attention and 1 fermenter got double yeast and double oxygen!

Should be interesting :oops:

Any one else done this, or mixed strains?

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Double pitch - 2 strains!

Post by MTW » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Both English, so both likely to take off quickly, especially well oxygenated. I double pitched with s04 and us05 once, and the s04 takes off so much quicker that it out competed the other, at least at 50/50 proportions.

I found Whitelabs 'ringwood' to be pretty clean and attenuative, so some interest from the 1469 may be beneficial. If you mean it's the original multi strain Ringwood, then that's different.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:51 pm

Not exactly as intended, but yes it should work out fairly OK I would imagine. Might be enthusiastic with twice the pitching rate, so watch for spills earlier than normal.

I'd be concerned about the batch with neither oxygen nor yeast though... :wink:
Last edited by Kev888 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:24 pm

I had a scavenged Proper Job yeast starter that didn't seem to get a strong fermentation underway (which was a 1st with PJ yeast) and only had a pack of S-05 in stock when going away the following morning. Rehydrated that and added to the fermenter and the resulting APA was one of the best I've done. Scavenged some from that brew and used and resued about 4 times before deciding it had had its day.

Would happily try this combination again particularly as there seems to be less sediment in bottled PJ nowadays although I'm assured nothing has changed at their end.

Lanky94
Tippler

Post by Lanky94 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:01 am

Quick update - it went of like a rocket. Lots of Krausen, but not out of the airlock. From experience with both yeasts, the Krausen looks more like that of the 1469. Its traditionally a bit quicker to start compared to Ringwood , so it may be dominant.

The other 5 gallons got the usual 45 seconds of oxygen with a slurry of ringwood from another :=P fermenter.

I also forgot to mash out on this brew......too many beers whilst brewing!

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:02 am

Good stuff, will be interesting to see what the flavours are like.

I wouldn't be concerned over the missed mashout. In normal British homebrew processes it typically doesn't gain very much; if you sparged then probably close to nothing at all. Certainly no great loss to omit, even if unintentionally.
Kev